New goats- anemic, possible malnutrition?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by tfalls, Jul 30, 2018.

1. tfalls

tfalls New Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Hello- I had 2 nigerian dwarf goats (3yrs old, 1 female and 1 boy- fixed) land in my lap last week. I got them on Wed, today is Monday. Let me start with - I have never had goats before so I am completely new and reading everything I can-
    They had scours right before I got them and fecal was done. Worm count was 0. I was told a copper bolus was done in March. When they arrived I immediately wormed them and will again on day 10 with ivermectin. I gave them probiotics in their water also. They have free choice loose minerals and baking soda. They seem to be acting fine- they play with each other and wander around- try to head butt the cats and dogs. I checked their eyelids because I had read about anemia and both of their lids are VERY light pink/pale and their gums are also extremely pale.
    The previous owner has had them from baby, and she has never given them anything other than orchard grass and free choice minerals/BS.
    I am worried about their eyelids being so pale and I am wondering if their diet is to blame? What do you recommend they be fed? I just bought the orchard grass for them and they have a large pasture to graze. I know the previous owner was worried about the boy having calculi so she didn't want them having grain or high protein because of that.
    I'm open to all suggestions to help these guys get up to optimum health, but I do not have a huge disposable budget and I lean towards more holistic care anyways- Thanks!

2. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Oh welcome to the crazy world of goats :p
    Ok first off do you know they checked for coccidiosis in that fecal? If not can you have another done that includes that?
    It’s been 4 months since a copper bolus. Any way you can get some pictures of them so someone can let you know if they need another?
    Something is going on with having the runs. Did they come with it or after you got them? If after it very well could be diet change.
    Toss the baking soda. It messes with their stomach and I THINK can but the wether at more risk or stones. The only time baking sodas should be given is if they are bloating or at risk.
    Protein is not the issue with stones. It is the wrong balance of phosphorus and calcium. You want the wether to have 2:1 cal:phos. Grain is high in phosphorus and so is most grass. Alfalfa is a great way of adding calcium to the diet.

3. tfalls

tfalls New Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Thanks! So far it has been...interesting?
    So they had the runs before I had them and it cleared up in a day. They have not had any issue with that since I have had them.
    So should I start giving them alfalfa also? I should mention that we are on well water and I think we are high in calcium in the water due to the scale/mineral deposits that we get, but I am not sure.
    I will attempt to attach pictures- the female, Daffodil (brown and black) does have loss of hair on her nose and her tail is fishtailed- When I asked the previous owner about it, she said they have always just been like that. The boy, Wallace (white) looks a bit fish-tailed to me now that I really look at him. I know she only did copper once a year, maybe that is our issue?

Attached Files:

4. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Before I say much I really really need an idea of where you are at. Each area of the US has it's own issues to be addressed.
    They are definitely mineral deficient though. I would suggest giving them a course of Replamin plus which will give them a balanced form of all the minerals they might need with no guessing.

Dayna likes this.
  5. tfalls

tfalls New Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Oregon- Salem area

6. goathiker

All right, that's easy enough. I'm in Willamina.

tfalls likes this.
  7. tfalls

tfalls New Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Perfect! I may attach myself to you! I typically do tons of research before getting an animal, and my plan was for goats next year, but hadn't gotten to the researching part yet. These goats needed a home due to a move and my place was set so we ended up with goats before we were fully ready.
    So if I do the replamin, do I not give them loose minerals or copper bolus?

8. goathiker

Yes, you still do both. I'll outline what I do, tweaked for Nigerian goats since they have some feed needs that are a bit different than my LaMancha goats.
    It will just take a little while since I'm cutting up two weeks worth of whole raw food for my dogs and cooking dinner lol.

tfalls likes this.
  9. goathiker

I use Purina Wind and Rain Storm cattle minerals. The ones without the fly control. I have used many other types over the years but, this seems to be a really good one.
    They also have a cobalt block and at different times a sea salt rock.
    For your Nigerian I would stick with the eastern Oregon orchard grass. I would however add 1/2 to 1 cup alfalfa pellets for calcium.
    They should do just fine on that unless you breed the doe.
    Haystack mills is outside of Dallas and they have GMO free alfalfa pellets. Champion feeds in Salem carries them.

tfalls likes this.
  10. goathiker

We do have liver fluke here. Valbazen works well for them.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  12. tfalls

tfalls New Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Awesome, Thank you! Should I use the Valbazen for all worming or in addition to the other wormer? I was planning to switch to the herbal worming stuff, Molly's but I'm not sure how often yet- I haven't really read into it fully yet.

13. goathiker

For our area I would choose Fir Meadows over Molly's.
    Using the Valbazen once in the fall/ early winter keeps liver fluke under control.
    I copper bolus two or three times a year.

tfalls likes this.