New goats are home!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kelebek, Jul 7, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    So I brought home my Nubian and my Alpine X milker this afternoon. Since they decided to poo and pee the whole way home - they both received baths before being turned loose in the pen with the sheep, horses, and the other goats. Only 2 of my goats had ever met these girls and that was over a year ago - So I doubt they would remember!

Anyway - here are some pics!

Enjoy! I am planning on milking the Alpine as long as possible (she has only 1 functioning teat but while nursing her baby was giving well over a pint for never being seperated and that was only milking 1 time a day- now her baby is not with her - and I am hoping to get more and I plan on milking at least 2 times a day!) I plan on breeding both to my Boer buck if he ever figures out what he is for! LOL!

Dora first!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the one functioning teat being away from her kid for about 3 hours.

[​IMG]

Trisha the Nubian

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Awe! Allison, what pretty girls they are!! I really like how curious your "little man" is with them...too cute!

The "lopsided" udder on Dora was caused by the single kid? Or is it something else?

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am not sure if it was so much from a single kid although she was HUGE and nursing alot - but I do know that she does have some scar tissue in her udder. I am going to take a look tonight when I milk and see what is going on. I know Stephanie said that it produced milk for a bit when the doeling was born 1-2 weeks, and then dried up.

This girl had a state fair champ meat wether son 3 years ago that was 160+pounds - can you believe it!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Well Trisha looks to need to go on a diet! Otherwise they look quite nice :thumb: Congratulations :leap:

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Stacey - Can you please take a look at my thread asking about edema - it feels and seems to be more like edema then fat - but of course I could be wrong.

I met Trisha a year ago October and she was skin and bones. She started this "edema" when she was supposed to be due to kid (which she didn't take obviously) her udder started "filling" a bit and has never went down. Do you really think it is just fat??? If so - Diet time for her! LOL!

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Congrats I am :drool: over all those spots! I just love spots!

Looks like you are going to have lots of milk too. :)

7. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Congratulations!!! They're beautiful!

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thanks all - I am so excited!!!!

I am out to milk Dora - wish me luck - I have NEVER milked before except a little colustrom for a baby that was down. I will let you all know how it went!

9. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Nice girls!

I do believe she is fat. Bella looked the same when we brought her home. She had fat wads behind the point of elbow and they were really squishy. We put her on a diet right away. No grain and a square of not the best alfalfa hay twice a day.