New goats have worms - can they share fenceline?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Chili Goat, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Chili Goat

Chili Goat New Member

May 27, 2009
    I have two new does :leap: Their breeder had just done three doses of Panacur but suggested a fecal test to make sure they were clean before introducing them to my other goats. I had a fecal test done as soon as I got them,1 1/2 weeks ago, and they tested positive for Strongyles. I treated with SubQ injections of Ivomec one week ago and ran another fecal test today and it showed Stomach Worms. Vet says to give another Ivomec injection in one week and then wait a week and run another fecal.

I only have two pens and they share a central fenceline, I have been keeping the two new does completely isolated in a seperate barn but would really like for these girls to get outside (I do take them for walks on leashes). Can they out in the pen that shares a fenceline with my other goats (who's fecal tests were negative)? Thanks for any input!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    congrats on the new girls.... :greengrin: :thumb:

I wouldn't share the fence line ..... as feces can be spread to the other side of the fence....if the poo goes on the other side......and expose the others...... Keep them confined ....until they are clean and when they are all in the clear.... any ground they are on will contaminate the ground with worms/eggs....so limit where they go....

3. Chili Goat

Chili Goat New Member

May 27, 2009
    Gosh that seems so obvious now, why didn't I think about the soil of the pen being contaminated? :doh: Thank You!

I guess I'll really get a chance to know the new girls over the next two weeks on our long walks!

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your welcome glad to help....... :greengrin: :wink:

have a great time walking them...... :thumb: