The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We brought home two Nigerian Dwarf yearling does last night. They come from a large herd and they weren't handled much. Also, they were raised on hay and grain in a barn. We've got them outside in a small partition of our pasture with a small shelter - they are by themselves for now. Our pet wethers is in the next door pasture. He's pretty much uninterested.

Since this morning they have been huddled in the shelter - it's about the size of a large dog house. We have hay and water outside the shelter, but they don't come out for anything. Should I be concerned? How long should I just let them be? Should I go in and try to coax them out? Should I offer grain? I know they'll need some work, but I'm a little bit worried.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Perfectly normal. They need time to adjust. Just leave them be. Make sure to keep hay and water available at all times for them. They'll come out as they settle in. I wouldn't mess with them. Let them settle in for a week or so without much handling if any. Not good to put any extra stress on them. Eventually they'll warm up to you...just takes some time. ;)

·
8,171 Posts
Give them the same grain that they are used to . If they were raised in an enclosed barn, they will be frightened out in the open- they will venture out, eventually!
Maybe sit next to the shelter and offer them grain from your hand. Don't cut out all the grain immediately, if you aren't going to grain
them, wean them off it, slowly. Do you have the same type of water as their original home? (city or well?) You might have to offer them
the water inside the shelter- or dribble some in their mouths.

If they used to drink out of a light colored bucket and you have dark, or vice-versa- they may not want to drink out of the strange bucket!

Good luck with your new goaties!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good news. They cam out a few times yesterday afternoon and evening to eat the hay and drink. I'm hoping they will continue to grow more confident. Thanks for the reassurance. I'm new to goats.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts