The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our goats last Sunday, and the previous owner wasn't much help for information... The does both have kids, about 3 mos old he said. They were out to graze on his friends' property, so he hadn't seen them much. We found out that there was a buck there, and well, one of our does seems to be pregnant looking. Any ideas?

image-1351382540.jpg

First picture is of her laying down.

image-372544157.jpg

The second pic is also from today, best I could get from the rear for now.

image-1778009657.jpg

This is a pic from before we bought her, but after her buckling was born.

We only wonder because we want to take the best care of her possible, and yes, I know her ears don't look like a boer, we think she is part La Mancha.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,121 Posts
If there was a buck in with them, she could definitely be pregnant. If so, you are going to want to wean the buckling. You want to make sure the new babies get plenty of colostrum.

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
Ditto what Karen said. Also, I am positive she has Lamancha in her. I would say she is half Lamancha, if not 3/4. Make sure you trim her hooves, give her good loose minerals and feed her well.

·
14,615 Posts
My whales look preg all the time, especially laying down. The second pic of her she doesnt look preg at least not more than 3 or 4 mos. Naturally, I could be wrong.
These girls need your TLC. Rough coats indicate wormload &/or copper def.
Lots of good fresh loose minerals for sure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nancy, her buckling is only 3 mos old (or so we were told), so I know she's no more than that far along. This is my first time as an adult raising goats, so I'm learning everything as I go. The second picture wasn't a good one, I can try to get better tomorrow. Normally when I go in with her, she likes most of my attention. She is quite friendly, but that makes it hard to get pictures :)
This doe is by far our worst off, and we know we have some work to do with all of them, since they were just put out to clear brush for the last few months... But we are committed to all of them, and are looking to make sure they live a very happy life. We haven't even had them for a week yet, and she's already looking better. Not sure how well they were fed before, but we made sure we got special feed for lactating does, and have seen improvement in her. We will be making sure she has access to loose minerals, and will work on weaning the buckling, in case she is pregnant.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I ditto wean the buckling, shouldn't take more than a week (from how I do it). Ditto the loose minerals, a foot trim and cdt if she doesn't already have it. Check for parasites too. They can breed within a week of giving birth. I had a doe go nuts over a buck 5 days post kidding 8/ he's was penned tho haha. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using GoatSpot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts