The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got two goats 48 hours ago.. they looked very healthy but it seems like they are now not eating and drinking much here at their new home! What can I do? I can feel ribs and backbone is prominent. They are eating some hay, and sweet feed when offered. I've seen them drinking twice so they are getting some fluids. Poop is still hard berries.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

What age are the goats?

That's pretty fast for ribs & backbone to become prominent. Perhaps you just feel them more as you spend more time with them. Winter fluff can really hide a lot.

Did the previous owner/breeder provide you any records? Last deworming?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum.

What age are the goats?

That's pretty fast for ribs & backbone to become prominent. Perhaps you just feel them more as you spend more time with them. Winter fluff can really hide a lot.

Did the previous owner/breeder provide you any records? Last deworming?
They are about 2 years old. Nigerian dwarf. Buck is registered, and was dewormed by owner the day I got him. Female is suspected to have been bred and about 57 days along. They are eating and drinking. I just don't get why they look so skinny now, maybe I'm not offering enough? The previous owner is amazing and I picked them up from her place and seen her set up and it's tidy, clean and we'll stocked and animals all look healthy. I am using the exact feeds and hay she uses cause I didn't wanna change up their diet too drastic. They get free choice Coastal hay, and no more than a cup of sweet feed a day. They have a mineral block and an all purpose goat block. Fresh water twice a day. Famacha is a light pinkish color.

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
Like mentioned..moving is stressful for goats and can take a bit to settle in. They may not eat as much do to the stress. Daily probiotics would help and a little extra TLC. But its a good idea to rule out other things like a worm bloom. Check famachas and get temps as shipping fever is a real thing..again stress related.
What wormer and dose was given to the buck?

·
8,067 Posts
Is the previous owner close? Can you get water from them? Put it in the same color bucket that the original farm used. Believe it or not, water dehydration will cause a condition loss in a matter of days. If your water tastes different or the bucket is a different color, that could cause lack of drinking as much as they need.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts