New Goats-Need Help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by bbredmom, Oct 10, 2008.

1. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I picked up these three pretties today. They were living off of brush and one scoop of feed for all three, and being wormed with the crumbles, which we all know are worthless.

What should I do first? The Males are especially thin, and I'm concerned why their buts are arched up like that. The multi os a wether, and the brown and white is a buck. The brown is a solid doe, and the obvious ringleader. They let her eat first, follow her, etc.

ShouldI worm first, or bulk them up first, or what? They are also not used to being handled, so worming will be fun! Any injectable wormers I can use.

But, I think they will be very pretty once I get some meat on them, especially the buck. Does he look pure Boer? He loves having his ruff scratched.

I have Valbazen at hand, but if the doe is pregnant, I dont want to risk abortion. Panacure is still fairly effective here, and I can also get ivermectin easily. We have a great co-op here.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    first off bless your heart for taking them in!

they just need some good old food! Make sure they have hay available to them at all times (or feed them twice a day with plenty of hay). IF they are use to grain give them each some twice a day but not to much (no more then 2 cups each).

Worm them with either a horse wormer or ivermectin injectable (you can give it orally at 1cc per 20lbs or if you inject it give it per the box directions). The horse wormer you will want to triple the goats weight (estimate high!) and then give the dose according to that weight.

Check eyelids, if they are pale then you need to worm, if they are pink they are fine.

Best though to take a sample to the vet (cat and dog vet will do) and have them run a fecal and test for coccidia and worms. Have them tell you what worms so you can worm them accordingly. Not all wormers are effective against all kinds of worms.

Example:
    safeguard only kills tapeworms while ivermectin kills other worms but will not kill tapeworms.

I would seriously consider removing the doe from the buck --- in her condition she does NOT need to get pregnant.

3. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I agree with Stacey.

I also use Cydectin, but I don't how affective it is in your area. I would also maybe add a little BOSS to their feed to help in putting some weight on them, and you could also use it as a treat to help get them used to you.

Please keep us posted on them! I would love to see how they progress!

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    looks like they have answered already, but to your other q; no he doesnt look full boer- or he just needs to gain some weight, looks like he might have nubian?

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Katrina..........he looks part boer to me ,but not high percentage, his color is of boer character.............

That is so wonderful and thoughtful of you to take them in...........

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Maybe a fecal sample to the vet would be a good place to start. They could tell you what worms you have and what would be best to use on them.
    I hope they do well for you- they certainly do need your help.

7. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Those colors are really pretty! Be sure to send more pics after you get them in shape~
    Yep, definitely % Boers with maybe Nubie or Kiko??

8. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Oh the poor babies! So skinny. Good on you to take them in.

Don't have much advice to offer, but lots of hugs and good wishes. :hug:

9. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Its been three weeks! How do you think they are looking?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    wow, they look alot better!

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    They are looking so much better Kate! You are doing a wonderful job with them!

12. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    You are doing great with them!! They look much better.

13. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks! To be honest, I haven't wormed them yet. I was too afraid of shocking their system. But now that they are healthier, I'm going to worm them when I worm Rosie tonight.

I also discovered that Butch has a horrible sweet tooth. He lurves the sourpatch kids. I dropped one, he snuffed it, and like in haled the dang thing! He then saw the bag, and practically put his front two hooves on me, beggin for more. I gave him one, and shooed him away.

Soooo funny.

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    They do look great.

I have to laugh. We have a doe that does the same thing with Sour Patch kids. I can not even eat one, but Sophie loves them. Silly girl

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ