New goats - need names

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Oct 31, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Looking at these two Saanen doelings to possibly buy. No pedigrees. Not great pictures, its all he could give me. It is not too far away so for the price I may have a look. They have been depastured with a Toggy buck :love: Maybe will get Toggy looking :girl: :love: Funny that is what I wanted originally, now I have 50 + goats and none are Toggies lol

[attachment=1:2ics05ur]Nohornssaanen.jpg[/attachment:2ics05ur]

Got a bit carried away with downsizing this one, sorry.

[attachment=0:2ics05ur]Horns.jpg[/attachment:2ics05ur]

If you were only going to take one (I dont think I can justify them both) which would it be? I'm kinda looking at the polled doe - not just because of the polled factor, but because the horned doe's rump is getting to me.

Update: I am bringing the polled doe home on Thursday. Suggestions for a name? (they called them both 'nanny' so I decided she definitely needed a better name than that). She is pure but unreg, but the good news is I can get her registered as a foundation doe, and once I have this pregnancy over and done with, if I then join to a reg. Saanen buck I can reg the kids as Appendix D, which is showable.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Re: New goats (maybe)

looks like real nice goaties... :thumbup: :)

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Re: New goats (maybe) - pick one

I'd personally get the polled one because I don't care so much for horns. But that's just me. . . .

4. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire

I like the first one also, not cuz of no horns either, as I have one horned and 1 not, lol

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

Agree w/ Olivia...I'd get the polled one. From the pictures they seem to be about the same style and conformation. Cute goats!

6. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina

I don't know anything about this breed, other than they are dairy. And can't tell mcuh from the pictures, so I would have to go with the polled doe, only because she has no horns.
    Sorry I am not much help :shrug:
    But both goats sure are pretty! :)

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

i say the first doe.. she grabs me more

8. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota

Yes their conformation both look the same, I think I like the horned one better, and I noticed she had wattles, which I think are neat.

I'd get both.

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

lol Amos I want both too! But I dont think I can justify it. The polled one sticks out to me more, I think she looks bigger and broodier and maybe a little more wedgey.

I'm not a fan of waddles, though I wouldnt not buy her just because of that

10. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota

Yes, I think you're right, the first does look more wedged, also, from the picture, the back legs look better, but it may just be the picture. They look pretty high in the back ends. The horned one looks just like one of my goats, with the horns and conformation, just different color and no wattles :wink:

11. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

Good news! I just emailed the guy who is selling them to organise a time for me to go out there to see them. It is a 2 1/2 hr drive, but he said he is coming my way on Thursday and if I wanted he can bring them with him for me to look at and pick one. So at the moment I am thinking the polled doe, but I will keep an open mind and have a look at both. And make up my mind when I see them 'in person'. I need to make sure teats and teeth are right, and then look at leg structure and so on before I decide. I dont generally go for polled goats because of the breeding issues, but I will just be careful that I join her to a horned buck.

Amos, I think you are right they both need correction in the back ends, they slope off way too much. Since they are joined now to the Toggy I will have to wait till their next joining, and use a buck with a good flat rump. I have a friend 20 min away with show winning saanens, so it will not be too difficult to get a service to a good buck.

12. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ

Even though I am partial to horned goats, I like the first doe better. I'm only going off the picture here, but she looks more intelligent then the second one. I dunno, I just like the shape of her.

13. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Anyone got suggestions for a name for the polled doe, who is coming home Thursday? I will take better pictures of her then.

14. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Name her...

Novella XD

15. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Well, the polled doe is home and I am getting the horned doe on Mon/Tues. My brother who lives just up the road said he would like to get the other one, and I offered to put her in with my goats. If he had told me last night I would have contacted the seller to bring them both, but he only said it this morning. The seller is coming my way again Mon/Tues, so I will get her then.

He had them running with the Toggy buck for the last 2 months, only took him away 2 weeks ago, but prior to that they had access to a young Boer buck, and he said the horned doe is starting to build an udder ... so it wouldnt suprise me if I have half Boer kids instead of half Toggy kids. Ah, well. If they are wethers they will be better for the freezer if they are half Boer. And I will join to Saanen next time.

I am going to wait to take some more pictures, she looks terrible because he took her off feed and water last night for travelling. So when she recovers I will take some pics. She is nothing flash, basically what you would expect for a $50 goat. She could stand to have a little more length, a little more depth, a little more length and flatness to her rump, a little more wedge, and she is in pretty poor condition. But she does have a nice bite, nice feet, well structured legs, all the basics there. It will be interesting to see the other one in person. Also interesting to see how they freshen.

16. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Congrats! I've always wanted a Saanen. I hope she fits in well!