The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys :) So pretty soon I'm going to be moving my horse and two 4 month-old goats to a plot of land that already has an established herd. My question is would it be unsafe to let my goats loose in the herd, or would it be safer to keep them in my horse's corral? I'm concerned because both of my boys are disbudded and the herd is not. Will they get beaten up???

Please and thank you for the tips! :book:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
How big is the established herd?

I have no first hand experience but have been told that a large herd will reject a new goat. 2 or 3 goats coming into a new large herd has more of a chance as they have someone to help them out.

Also that it's better to let the herd and the new ones get to know each other through a fence for a time instead of just all loose all at once.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's maybe 15-20 I'm not sure the gender of all of them but they do have a buck in a pen by himself so I'm assumming that they are mostly does and some bucklings if any...

·
Registered
635 Posts
Keep them with the horse.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
At 4 months old, it is a very real possibility that an older, established herd could kill them. I would keep them with the horse for a few more months.

I don't generally put new kids in with my herd until they are 7-8 months old and a pretty decent size.

·
Registered
458 Posts
You should definitely make sure that they are large enough to defend themselves before putting them in with the herd, but if there are that many I would be careful because it could be fatal for them. Just make sure that when you put them in there you can keep watch for the first couple days which is when they will be setting the dominance order.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts