New Goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by dragonfly farms, Oct 21, 2009.

1. dragonfly farms

dragonfly farms New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    We rescued two new goats last week, they are 3 year old does. They are very sweet little girls, very quiet and shy. I am worried about them adjusting with my herd. I have never had an issue with introducing new goats until now. These girls are too shy to stand up for themselves and just take a beating from the others. I spent time with them today to try and help, but as soon as i left the beatings began. There is plenty of room in the barn and in the pasture, so I am not sure what i can do, any ideas?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    its normal -- goats have to determine their order and unless they are being brutal you just have to let it run its course.

3. dragonfly farms

dragonfly farms New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    i was kinda thinking that . . . i just kills me to see the cowering in the corner taking the abuse! I will just have to watch them and make sure they are not getting hurt and that they are eating. ::sigh::

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

If you can seperate them to get them aculamated that would be good. let them adjust to their new surroundings without getting pounded on. Once they are somewhate comfortable take one of your less agressive does (but not the bottem of the herd) and put her in with them. once they get used to her take another. Then introduce the entire herd of four back into the large herd. This way your top does will have four goats to pick on instead of one or two. If you have enough does. This is how i introduce all new goats.
    beth

5. Ariel301

Ariel301 Guest

Oct 12, 2009
    Hopefully your goats all get settled down soon. Congratulations on the new additions to your herd.

Do you have two pens next to each other where you could put the new ones in their own pen, but the other goats can see and smell them but not hurt them? That might help; it's how I have always introduced a new cat to the household--put it in its own room so the others know it is there and can get used to its smell without fights.

We had a doe we just had to sell because the others never accepted her. They were all three bought at the same time, from the same farm, and the two older does pounded on Ebony nonstop--any time she tried to eat, drink, or lay down for a rest, they would slam her into the fences and bite her until they left wounds! We tried for a few months, but nothing worked. I don't know if we just had a weird situation, or what. It was sad, because Ebony was our best doe.