New Herd Name

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dover Farms, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Okay...I think we(my Mom and I) are going to get a new herd name. My herd name is Dover Farms(obviously. lol) and my Mom's is Seigneur Farms. We have Kastdemur's/LakeShore bred animals...then we have our Copper-Hill bred animals. Well...I've got the majority of the Kastdemur's/LakeShore, while Mom has the Copper-Hill. We want to mix the lines and keep kids out of each other's does...without having to do transfers and such. The other thing is...who is going to remember Seigneur(our last name) Farms?? No one knows how to pronounce it...so who's going to remember it? (I just thought of something fun! lol...take a guess at how to pronounce it!)

Now we just gotta think of some names! I really would like it to be something catchy...short and easy to remember. We live in Wauseon, Ohio...on a hill(kinda..it's pretty flat around here)...a bunch of pine trees. We strive for show ring winners! lol Anyone know of a word in a different language that means "winners" or "winning" or "quality" or "best" or something to that effect? Mom thought maybe something from the Bible...since my 4-H advisors herd name is Shalom Farm.

Thanks for any suggestions!!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have no suggestions but I think that is a great idea.

3. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    CopperShore?

lol I dunno

Or One Hill? lol

4. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    Have you called the ADGA? Both of my sons each have their own herd too. But since both herds are on the same property and my kids are obviously related to each other LOL, we don't have to do transfers or service memos on the goats. They use each others bucks on their own does every year and we just register them as you normally would. My oldest son has a herd name but my youngest doesn't. You can go to the ADGA website and sign a paper and fax it in or mail it giving each other permission to use each others herd name. That's how we did it so that all goats have the same herd name even though they are owned by 2 different people. If you like the Dover Farms name then you can sign the paper giving your mom permission to use your herd name for her kids. Then if she has some that she wants with her herd name she could still use hers too. You could do it that way unless you really wanted a new herd name. Just an idea :)

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

well i know a breeder that used M&M acres with his mom, it stood for Mom and Me....Something to do with the hill would be cute ONAHILL would be a neat play on wordsand if you say it fast and bledn the words together.....hmmm i live on a hill too. I like that....
    beth

6. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Ok... it is early and I haven't had my dose of caffeine yet :coffee2: , but the only thing that was coming to mind was something like Whispering Pines.... as I said it is REALLY early! LOL! I will give it another try later today :greengrin:

7. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Thanks everyone! Keep the suggestions coming! I do like Onahill. I like Whispering Pines, too..but I think its already taken.

I got my herd name because Mom registered Seigneur Farms under just her name...then if I wanted the goats in my name I couldn't use Seigneur Farms. And I don't particularly care for Dover Farms, either. I was 10 when I came up with that...and I would like something different! lol Now I just wonder...that when we come up with something new..can this year's kids be registered with it?

8. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I just looked...Onahill is already taken! Darn!

9. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Here's a couple from biblical names:

Adriel - Flock of God, belonging to God

Carmel - Fruitful place, park

Chenaniah - God has established

Ephraim - Double fruitfulness

Ephratah - Fruitfulness

Gallio - One who lives on milk

Jether - Excellence, abundance

Oran - Ash tree, pine tree

Shammua - Renowned

Shiphra - Beautiful, loveliness

Timon - Honorable

Vashti Beautiful

Zalman - Shady, quiet, peaceful

Zimri - Praise-worthy

10. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    ok kinda lost I am what is the difference between farm name and a herd name do they not have to match?

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no they do not have to match. A herd name is what your goats prefix is. examples

Noah's Acre's Lola -- Noah's Acre is the herd name and the farm name
    Little Sleepy H Sweet Pea -- Little Sleepy H is the herdname but the farm name is Little Sleepy Hollow

Liz on here has a farm name of Liz's Sugar run minis but her herd name is Dolly's Acre

She will use Dolly's Acre before each name of the registered kids born on her farm.

My farm and her name are the same End of The Line

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Well Jaque, what about ATOPAHILL, OVRTH'HILL, UPAHILL NUBIANHILL, though if you ever got another breed....thats why i never put alpines in my herd name, though i have never had another breed registered under me.
    Im running out of ideas now...
    beth

13. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    so I could name my farm (small creek farm) and name my herd something like Mini munchers would that be ok

14. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    Yes that would be fine. Just remember when you pick your herd name it has to be something that you want in front of all your goats names.

15. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    lol is One Hill Nubians or something taken?
    I'm having a brain meltdown I cant think xD

16. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    lol I suck at this but I would pronounce your last name 'Seegner'

I'm not much help with the herd name. It took me ages to come up with mine.

17. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Mom and discussed the new herd name a bit more last night...I don't think we really want to go with something on our property or around us. When I move...it most likely won't work. So I'll keep looking...and keep the suggestions coming. :)

Keren you the only one that tried to pronounce my last name! lol Nope that's not how it is pronounced...good try. It's pronounced senior like in highschool. It's french and the g is silent. :wink:

18. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Something to consider if you combine your herd into one name;
    I bought four Nubian does from a family a couple months ago, as far as I know they have three daughters. Two does were in one daughter's name, and two other does were in another daughter's name, both girls were members in ADGA, when I sent the papers in, two were accepted, and I got the other two papers back with an error report, saying that the tattoo in the right ear (their herd name) was 'already owned by another member'. Well all four of them had the same herd name tattooed in the right ear. We called ADGA and they said that we would have to add another letter in the ear, above or below the herd name, note the change in the registration papers and send the papers back in.
    Does what I wrote make any sense?
    Just something to think about anyway.. I'm not sure how ADGA has it all set up for the sort of thing.

19. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    They probably forgot to fill out the paper authorizing the other sister to use her herd name. You can authorize other people to use your herd name if you want. That's what I had to do or else I knew I'd be confused with both of my boys having their own herd names LOL. So now we have 2 herds but only 1 herd name that can be used on both.
    I wonder if the one sister could fill that paper out authorizing the other sister to use her herd name and fax it in real quick and save you from having to go through all that hassle. She can print it right off the ADGA website and fax it right back and then you could send your registration papers back in the way they are and they would be accepted. That would be a lot easier then having to retattoo and edit the registrations. Just an idea :)

20. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Haha, we already re-edited it and sent it in.