The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought home the newest member of my buck pen today... Gibson Farm FL Boris.
He's 8 weeks old, a bit on the jumpy side and I learned pretty quickly that I'm in for a long couple days with him adjusting :(
He was with his mom until around 12:30 today and is currently in his own covered pen that shares a fenceline with my adult boys and my breeding does. It's been a very long time since I've had a weanling here and almost forgot how stressful it is on me to hear them cry :(

He's loving his hay, has a fresh pail of water and a large plastic crate to go into to bed down. I know he'll be ok, I just feel badly hearing him cry.
He's had a dab of probiotic paste and he and Maggie were butting heads as best they could through the panel... she's 4 months and twice his size and very much a little bully!
I'd like to have him spend his nights in my one kidding stall but the little booger has already shown me that he'd jump out of it... and he's too jumpy for me to just allow him to be in the pen with my boys

·
14,615 Posts
Changes are awlways so stressful for them & us. Glad you figured it out. Congrats on your new boy where's the pics did I miss them?

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually ended up bringing him into my milking area of the shed... All my goats decided to go to the sheds and he was left out there in his pen with nobody around to see :(
He is quiet once he see's me and once I sit with him for a bit and pat him, I can pick him up onto my lap and he'll chew cud. I haven't posted any new pics but will once he settles in :)

·
Super Moderator
58,935 Posts
Yes, it sure is hard for them. Probably harder on us than them. Is there anyone you can put in with him?

·
Goat Grandma
105 Posts
We have a couple of older 'grandma' does who love to take care of our bottle kids and show them the ropes. Works super well when we've got a singleton kid without playmates.

Hope he settles in soon for you!

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE!! Mr B has been very well loved, lots of attention eating very well, he loves his hay...only nibbles on the feed, funny but he leaves the oats and corn in the pan and only eats the pellets, he indulges in the green grass thats been growing rampant and has had some soft green poo at bedtime but by morning he's back to pellets. Oh and I have to admit that he's been getting babied too... he was dam raised but readily took a bottle with 2oz of Binkeys milk in it, I likely shouldn't have started this but it's only that much twice a day.... and at 8 weeks he has been doing the lip curl, sticking his head under his belly etc. but each of my girls haven't been friendly enough to allow him to get friendly with them and besides that... I know that where there is a will there is a way but he is literally too small in size to reach any of them even if they were to stand still. I know my goats and know that I feel "safe" enough for at least another week or 2 and ALWAYS know when my does are in heat and should any show interest in the tiny little buckling, he'll be moved to a pen within theirs :)

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Can we get some pictures of this little man? Sounds like he will be spoiled in no time!! Congrats :D

·
2,962 Posts
Congratulations liz. I just got a couple new girls too and have them separate from the big girls and like yourself am very hurt by their cries. I find a lot of stuff about goats stresses me..... disbudding, castrating, vaccinating, selling...... oh dear, but you know I love them so much, I'll struggle through this and enjoy all the good things about goats. Enjoy your new boy.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He's actually been pretty quiet the last day or 2... He has learned pretty quickly that mornings start before the birds are singing and he is a lazy boy... he will still be laying chewing cud when I open the door to his crate and only when he hears the feed can opening does he stand and stretch to come out for breakfast.
I hope to get some good pics up soon... I have had a bum foot for the last few days and it's put a damper on my time outside :( Feeling a bit better today so I'll see if I can get him to co-operate for me :)

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some random pics of "Mr B" as he has an outing in the pasture and doing what he likes best :) EATING!

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts