The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to goats, so I am hoping some one can guide me in trying to save my little wether. We bought him at auction a few months ago, so I am clueless as to his history. We did have a vet check the goats out when we got them, and she said they looked pretty good. Fast forward a couple of months. The night of Nov 14, we noticed he was lagging behind the group at feeding time and seemed a little lethargic. The next day, he was standing apart from the group, but still fairly spunky. His appetite was off, and the other goats seemed to be really picking on him. He pooped while I was checking him out, and it looked like dog poop. His gums were really pale, too. We took him in to the vet, and she did a fecal: Haemonchus and coccidiosis. We treated with Safe Guard and Corid. He didn't improve. The weather turned cold and rainy, so we brought him in to the garage to stay warm. We had him retested yesterday: still has Haemonchus. He was given Ponazuril and dectomax. He has gotten very lethargic. I have him in the house to stay warm. I have been giving him dilute Gatorade and a mix of molasses, corn oil, and corn syrup. I just picked up some red cell and a probiotic electrolyte replacer. Anything else I can do? I don't want him to suffer.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Sounds like to me you are on the right track.
Will he eat grain?
Does he have a fever?
Has his poop returned to normal?

I have had good results with Dectomax. It was a lifesaver for us this year! Once a goat gets down from a heavy wormload it takes work to get him back to normal. I personally haven't had any experience with the cocci but I'm sure some of the others that have will chime in.

Good luck with your little guy!!

·
Administrator
85,553 Posts
What is his temp?
Being so down, pneumonia or off rumen can occur. making him not want to eat.

Ivomec is the best to use for barbor pole worms (Haemonchus)

I take it the cocci is gone, that is good.

Now to rebuild his gut, give him probiotics(orally) for ruminants and high dosage of Fortified vit b Complex shots (US) for a few days.

Use the iron supplement, anemia can bring them down and he need his cells rebuilt.

Do you have Alfalfa hay? I wouldn't give grain when he is sick.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No fever, but he is grinding his teeth. He hasn't eaten much the past 2 days, but he has hay in the crate if he wants it. I'm hesitant to give him grain because I don't want to stress his digestive system. His poop isn't back to normal, but is improved. The red cell I bought is for horses. Is that the only kind available?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Temp 102.1. The hay is horse quality alfalfa/coastal blend. No coughing or nasal discharge, so hopefully no pneumonia. I've had him indoors to keep him warm and dry during this cold, wet weather (and there is not enough Febreeze in the world to cover up that little detail, LOL). Thank you guys for your advice and help!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your advice and help. Unfortunately, we lost Chip today. We are doing a necropsy tomorrow so we can hopefully prevent a repeat with our remaining herd. He was in a lot of pain last night, so it was probably a blessing. I got really attached to the little guy this past week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.