New Here and New to Goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by tremayne, Mar 4, 2008.

1. tremayne

tremayne New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    :wave: Hi, I'm Anna and I live in Central California. When my youngest daughter entered high school last summer, I got my first up close introduction to goats. She is concentrating on agriculture in school and as a project, bought a Boer X doe named Cosby. Cosby lives with the school herd made up of assorted goats, Nubians, Boer, Alpines, La Manchas and a bunch of goats of "mixed heritage." All beautiful, funny, very tame and friendly. Cosby is due to kid for the first time this spring. She's three and this is the first time the breeding "took." At least half the herd is bred and there will be babies everywhere soon. I can't wait. Here are pics of some of my favorites, starting with Cosby.

[​IMG]

Wasabi

[​IMG]

My favorite kids

[​IMG]

We plan to buy acreage as soon as possible, but until then, I get my goat fix by visiting the farm whenever possible and being here on the Goat Spot. Thanks for this site. I'm trying to read and learn as much as I can while waiting for goats of my own -- at home. Thanks to all for posting the pics, especially the kids. They're so cute I can hardly stand it!

Anna, aka tremayne

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    howdy Anna!!!! welcome. Sure are hooked now aren't you, thats just great. :greengrin: :cool:

Ask anyquestions we are more then willing to give our advise - of course it is jsut personal oppions but many times it is backed with years of experience.

do keep us posted on Cosby - thats really exciting.

THANKS so much for pictures - wow on your first post too, good for you ;)

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Ssshhhh, do not tell anyone how fast this addiction get to you...they'll try to cure it and I don't want to be cured! You know you can't have just one right? Or two? Or three? And wait till your family finds out...they'll think you're crazy...but you're not...it's just a hobby...you can stop anytime. No really, I'm sure I can stop anytime I want too! LOL. Welcome, you'll find these folks very helpful. Well, they are enablers, but, very helpful enablers! Di

4. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    :wave: welcome to the world of goats. yes they are very addictive but oh so much fun. just wait till you have a little one that needs the extra care & when your family comes over a baby goat meets them at the door :slapfloor:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Di you are to funny!!!

6. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Welcome Anna! Glad to have you with us. :wave:

7. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    :wave: Hi Anna
    Cosby looks like a sweetie. Is she breed to a boer or dairy breed buck? Goat are like potatoe chip you can't stop at one. I'm also in California (kern county). Shelly

8. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Hi- I agree that Cosby has great personality in her face. I love goats too-much too much. Oh well. Welcome to the strange world of the goataholic.

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Hello and WELCOME!!! :wave:

You will enjoy it here and you will have so many goats in the coming years they will be coming out your ears - I started with 4 in August and now I have 16 with 3 delivering this month - woo hoo!

10. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Welcome Anna!!!! I love goats too!!!!! If I didnt have my goats, I probably wouldnt be here today. Gotta love the funny critters!

11. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Hello! Welcome to the board! Congrats on the goat too! Very cute!

If the schools here had a goat herd, I might actually go to school! [I am homeschooled.]

12. tremayne

tremayne New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    :thankU: You're all so nice. Thanks for the warm welcome. I look forward to learning from you all. I'll be keeping everyone apprised of Cosby's status. We're gathering stuff for the kidding kit and will keep it handy. The school has the medical supplies, so I've gotten the things that might make the kidding more pleasant for goat and human both.

Re: Cosby: Last fall she was bred to a buck (as were most of the Boer x and some of the dairy does) on loan from a local breeder. Reportedly the buck was a purebred Boer, but he wasn't a traditional-looking one. He was jet black with a tiny white spot on his tail -- very striking. He did what he was there to do and impregnated most of the does he was pastured with. During winter break, though, we found him down on the ground with what looked like pneumonia, rapid breathing, runny nose, listlessness, congestion. We told the instructor and the herd manager, and isolated him, but when we returned to school the next day, he was dead. There was no necropsy, so we never found out what happened. So, there will be a crop of kids all related by sire. We were worried that whatever he had might affect the does, but so far they all seem healthy. The first kids are expected sometime soon and that mama is already in her own area, waiting.

Thanks again. I look forward to becoming more and more goat-addicted.

Anna, aka tremayne

13. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Hi Anna!!!!!!!! Glad to have you here! Yep I would say you are addicted!

I too am waiting on a doe to kid, I can't wait! I bet you are really excited! :stars:

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    WELCOME!!! We are all hopeless when it comes to "our kids"!! I love being here too and love all the helpful tidbits on keeping my kids happy and healthy as well as helping out when I can. Sad to hear of the buck passing but if the preggy does are healthy it may well have been the stress of breeding every doe that may have weakened his immune system leading him open to "catch" a cold that may well have turned to pneumonia. Can't wait to see what the "class herd" gives you all in kids!!

15. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Sound like you're going to have some colorful kids come. Sorry about the buck. He could have wore himself down trying to better everyone/chasing them around and that left his immune system weak. Shelly

16. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Welcome to the Goat Spot!! Cosby sure has a pretty face :)

The buck that she's bred to sounds really nice, and actually purebred boers can be black :wink: