New here, breeding advice?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by NubianLover, Sep 19, 2010.

1. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    Hello,
    I am new to the breeding of nubian goats and no matter how much I read, I think experience/learning from others is best. I have one nubian doe that was in heat for like a week. She let my buck breed her the 14th and 15th, but then no more. She basically just came out of heat a couple days ago. Yesterday morning she had diarrhea. She wasn't really into eating a whole lot of alfalfa, but was nibbling on it. I bought some corid as well as nutridrench. I did not treat for coccidiosis because when I went to feed last night she was constipated and still acting normal. I gave her 15cc of the nutridrench and this morning she licked up a bunch of straight yeast culture. She was eating her alfalfa better than yesterday, still acting normal. No signs of constipation or diarrhea. We did undergo a weather change from 80 degrees and humid to like 50 degrees and very cool. I guess my question is, is this normal during a weather change? If she was still in heat after being bred does that mean she didn't take?

My other doe got bred the 16th and 17th. After that, the buck didn't show much interest in her and she didn't show much interest in him. She is still just coming out of heat as of today (her tail is wet and other signs) Does that mean I missed and she most likley didn't catch? I know it may be hard to tell, but thought I would ask.

Sorry this is long, but like I said... I am a newbie at this! :)

2. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I am new to but I think they still finsh their cycle even if they are bred just wait for their next heat cycle and if they come in then you know they weren't bred and breed them again. But if they don't come into heat then you will know they are bred.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Don't worry about asking questions... that is what we are here for.... :thumb: :hug:

I usually leave a doe in with the buck until the doe tells the buck....no... and then test them 18 to 21 days later......to see if they took....
    If she didn't allow the buck to breed her on the 16th ....then I'd say... she was out of heat that day..... being bred for 2 days is normal.... test her everyday ...on the 18 day... all the way through to the 22nd day....

What is her temp? She may be starting pneumonia... if her temp is high....

The Does stay messy a few days after ....they go out.... it is usually a white discharge in color... :wink:

4. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Hi and Welcome to TGS. Like was already said, sounds normal and now you just wait and see if they cycle again in 17-21 days, if they don't then you know they took and you will have kids in 150 days - give or take 10 days from the breeding date.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    watch that scouring - if it continues more then 12-24 hours with in improvement then you will want to run a fecal to rule out worms and coccidia. Did you take her temp? normal temp is 101-103.5

your does breeding sounds normal as already mentioned.

6. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    Hi,
    Well the doe with the diarrhea seems back to normal. I have not taken her temp, I tried tonight and she just kept trying to kick at me, she has never really let me mess around her rear end... I will try in the morning. But she is eating good and she is my "boss" doe and she is back to head butting everyone out of her way and eating large mouthfuls. She is also drinking good and I did give her some more nutridrench tonight.
    I also dewormed all my goats on September 2nd with the Safegaurd. 4 weeks before that vet wormed with panacur.
    How often should I be worming them?

7. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    Took her temp this morning and it is 101.8
    She still seems to be acting normal. I haven't actually seen her poop, but still no signs of diarrhea.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    glad to hear she is doing better :)

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hi there!
    Glad your doe is back to herself!
    Panacur and Safeguard are the same wormer...Febendazole, it is useless here in Pa as the bugs have become resistant to it. I use ivermectin paste and worm when needed going by fecals. I've had my vet do them once a year and then learned to do them myself, I worm when egg counts are higher than usual or when I see very pale lower eyelids( I do a fecal then too)
    Every goat owner has a different way of managing their herd for parasite control...talk with your vet and have random fecals done to see what managment would work for you.