New here, New 2 Goats, New Goat

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by PsRumors, Apr 15, 2009.

1. PsRumors

PsRumors New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Cartersville, GA
    HI! We are located in NW GA and just rescued this nice little lady pictured below. My neighbor had her and was unable to keep her in their fenced area. Out of necessity we brought her to live on our little 5 acres homestead. She has already made friends with the horse and 15 chickens, though the chickens don't like her getting in their coop. She loves my German Shepherd that kind of keeps patrol of the whole barnyard family.

Could anyone tell us what type goat she may be? She can't be more than 40lbs and probably less. Our neighbor said she is right at a year old, is she full grown? We will be looking for her a companion, another nannie, for companies sake.

2. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    She looks to be a Boer or boer cross. She would do well with another doe, but if you don't plan to breed her a nice wether , an altered buck, would be cheaper and just as nice as a companion. They make excellent pets and don't have the issues of a buck.

I started out the exact same way, an unwanted goat of a neighbor, now I have 3 does, 3 kids, 1 buck and a few more on the way :wink: So this is your warning, goats are kind of addicting. :greengrin:

3. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Welcome from NW OH!!
    That is very kind of you to take her in!
    IMO, she looks maily Boer, could be a mix though. I just raise pygmies so I'm not much help.
  4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yep looks like she's a boer x.
  5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    yup just as the others said - she looks boer mix. She could be stunted because of sickness early on or because of worm load. I would get a stool sample to a vet to see if she needs worming.

Yes a wether (neutered male) will do well for her as a companion and it doesnt matter what breed.
  6. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    Boer X she looks like our Peanut. He is a boer cross we got off of a FFA auction. My boss gose and gets at least 2 to 4 goats out of a FFA auction. Support your local 4H and also save lives she likes to say.
  7. PsRumors

PsRumors New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Cartersville, GA
    Thanks everyone. The stool sample was done as well as a general checkup on Monday. She has a clean bill of health though slightly under weight but nothing to worry about so says the vet.

She is warming up to us quickly but would rather just stand near you as opposed to actually being touched. The wife is working on that as she will be a pet with duties of keeping the fence clean.
  8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    thats wounderful. Glad she is healthy :)

As to the underweight--- with plenty to eat and a companion she will be fat as anything in no time ;)
  9. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Everybody else already gave you great answers; I did want to add that I would suggest you get another goat with horns since she has them. It just makes things more equal for them. Also, which ever breed or mix you get is fine just try and find one close to her size and age if possible.

Oh, oh, I'm editing this because it's imperative that you keep her out of the chickens feed. Goats love that and will overeat and can get bloat which can kill them.

Have fun!
  10. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    In halping you and your wife make her a more friendly try offering limited treats can be very helpful. Some of my goats favorite are raisins (keep them away from your dog), animal crackers, banana chips, ginger snaps, and apple. If she won't take them from your hand just drop them near her.
  11. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Welcome to the list. I'm in NW SC. She definitely looks like a Boer or Boer cross. She looks like she could use a pal too. Glad she's got a horse for company too. Congrats and welcome to goats!
  12. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Welcome :) , I cant add anyting to what has been said as I think they got most of it. And looks like a boer-x to me. Oh you know I would check her hooves to make sure they dont need a trim.
  13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome! She does look VERY Boer to me, and as mentionmed I too would reccomend getting her a horned buddy, wether or doe, and yes, please keep her away from the chicken feed!

She does appear to need a good bit of groceries, a good goat mix should help. And as far as gtting her "tame"....lots of goodies!! Rebelshope has a nice list to choose from but I'll add to it, Cheerios, Saltines, Pretzels ,Frito's ,Granola bars. She'll be looking forward to seeing you in no time.
  14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    First TGS...we are happy you are here ..and are starting into the goaties.... :wink: yes definitely keep her out of the chicken feed.... she is a boer or boer..cross... :greengrin:
    Even at a year old ... she has a little more growing to do ...feed her good hay...grain her well and she will grow some more for you...she may be stunted a bit...because of being malnourished.....ect
    whatever feed you choose.........remember to ... start her out slowly on it ...a little grain ..then increase it slowly....same as Alfalfa or?.... if she is not use to them...she may scour if given to much... :wink:

she may need de-loucing for "biting and sucking" lice as well ....

Another thing to do..... is make sure........ you give her a CD& t tetnus toxoid shot ...and again in 21 to 28 days for the can give after that once or twice a is to prevent tetanus...and over eating disease..ect.

She will need some loose salt and minerals "for cattle" and baking soda free a container...

Be careful with the collar...if she gets it hooked on something ...she may get hurt or worse.. :hug:

Happy Goating.... :D
  15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Welcome to the board!!! Glad to have you here.

Just a side note - your girl will continue to grow till about age 2. She will start building her muscle and fill out.

16. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    She looks BoerX to me as her face is more dished like ND then roman. Boers tend to have a roman nose from what I have noticed. She may be a mix between that and a nigerian dwarf. Could be where she gets her size from and the fact she wasnt cared for properly during her first year.
  17. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Awww! Nice little boer cross. Yeah, if you want to save the life of a goat, get a wether. Usually they end up on someone's table otherwise.
  18. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I wanted to tell you first of all, WELCOME to the goat spot :wave: So glad you have joined us.
    Congratulations on the new addition and she is a cute little thing. I was going to say I thought she was a little under weight but hey if that is all you have to worry about you have it made. That is the easiest thing to fix.

Like some of the others have said, I would get her a friend. Goats are herd animals and they really need another goats to pal around with. It could be any type of goat and I agree maybe one with horns, but it would not be totally necessary but best.

It looks like she found a now very loving home, Congratulations to you both. :thumbup: