The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quite a few people have been discussing horns and I was curious if this idea is possible and if it is how would I do it? My grandfather suggested sawing the horns bc that's what that did with the cows when he was young. I know you can't just saw them off bc there are blood vessels, but how much can we cut off, and can I file them afterwards so they are round and smooth? Is this a dumb idea?

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,087 Posts
Sawing off a goat's horn would be extremely painful, and they could actually bleed to death. You CAN clip the tips a bit to dull them, or put tennis balls at the tip. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw a YouTube video online which is what prompted me to ask bc a guy saws his goats horns off, but only about 2-3 in, but his goat had huge horns, there was no bleeding at all bc he wasn't cutting down far enough, I'm assuming. That's why I was curious if anyone else just kept the tips cut back, and if you did this regularly starting now while he is young could you keep the horns smallish. Do a goats horns just keep gettin bigger and bigger as they age, what makes some curl around their ears and others have straight horns?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have a goat now that her previous owner sawed hers off. He said she kept getting her head caught in the fence, im not sure if she was stuck and he sawed them off to get her out or did it so he wouldn't have to keep getting her out. She has very small horns anyway about as wide as your pinky and not even long as your hand so i guess that helped her case. Now they are about 3 inches from the base with flat ends.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
are you just wanting them so they are not so sharp?? If thats what your wanting to do, then what i did with my one doe that kept getting her head stuck but was just a tad too long on the horns to get her out was I got those tree trimmers and slowly just a little at a time took some off. I thought I would see pink before you hit blood, no. But she bled just a little, like if she got a very minor cut. then if your wanting to shape the end some how, Im guessing thats what your talking about, then you can get a idea of where that center is at the tip. I have no idea about the round horn part, if your wanting to make them grow where the tips are kinda pointing to the ground I know valley vet has horn weights

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am really not sure what my best option is I am really just looking for a way to dull the ends or cover them just for prevention of eye poking. He doesn't get stuck in the fence or anything. They make weights for them, that seems like it may be a good idea.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,087 Posts
I wouldn't put weights on the horns -- that may give them a big headache. If you don't go far enough to catch the quick, you may be okay trimming the horns back a bit.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
OK eye poking I got it now....I think it was Liz I heard this from. But 2 tennis balls cut holes in them and tape them on. I think even if you tip them it there could still be a hut eye the horns are just the right size to do it.....I would try the tennis ball idea first ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But what will his horns be like in the future? Do they just keep getting longer or do they stop growing eventually?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts