New in VA, lonely housegoat troubles

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by FiorenzoFamilyFarm, May 23, 2018.

1. FiorenzoFamilyFarm

FiorenzoFamilyFarm New Member

May 23, 2018
    Hi all! I am seasoned with most animals but am totally new to goats. I purchased a pair of 3-day-old goats (one Alpine, one Saanen) from a dairy farm in NC. I admit I didn't know what I was doing.
    I brought them home, INTO MY HOME, fed them and took them to the vet. Unfortunately my little Saanen died at a month old. My farmer friends told me it was a case of typical Failure to Thrive.
    Now that leaves my Alpine, Stevie. Since her friend died she's latched to us. She wears diapers and eats from a dish next to the dog's dish. Ya'll, this goat SLEEPS WITH ME. I bathe her in Johnson's Baby Shampoo and she has no clue she's a goat.
    I attempted to transition her to the barn today and it was a complete failure.
    She's hung out in the barn with me many times but today I distracted her with treats then closed the door behind me. I could hear her frantic cries as soon as that door latched. I left her in there, with the chickens and the ducks and the donkey, for an hour, thinking she would eventually calm down.
    When I came out an hour later I could hear her shrieking as soon as I opened the back door. She ran to me and pressed her little head against my leg so hard. It shattered my heart. I brought her back inside, bathed her and now she's sleeping in my lap again.
    LAWD. Do I now have a large house goat or is there any hope of transitioning her to the barn, ever?
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

James Taylor and Lnegoatobsessed like this.
  2. Maureen Harmon

Maureen Harmon Active Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Peru, NY
    I have 4 “house goats” and they think staying outside is beneath them! They sleep in dog kennels and snuggle on the couch just like the dogs.
    If you want to transition her to being outside she will definitely need a friend!

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

She has to have a goat friend. I'd find one ASAP.

4. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    She definitely needs a goat friend and even with one, it is going to be incredibly difficult.

How old is she now? Is she still being bottle fed?

FiorenzoFamilyFarm likes this.
  5. FiorenzoFamilyFarm

May 23, 2018
    We're picking up a lamancha neutered (I keep wanting to call him a gelding, lol) for her this week.
    She's 3 months now and has now spent half of her life without her companion. No, she's not still bottle fed. She gets alfalfa hay and goat feed as well as fresh fruits and veggies from the table. (I know, we're awful)
    She'll now bleat at the fridge when she wants something tastier than her hay or feed.

SalteyLove likes this.
  6. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    LOL - Sounds like you got a house geught! Mine will here me pull up in the yard and start raising kain! I walk outside and start talking they go nuts, bonnie will run to the fence and act like she's been dying all day lol.

7. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    This would be my strategy but others may have good options too!

I would begin with penning (use a tall puppy play pen or XXL dog crate?) your baby and her new wether BFF together all night every night and eliminate the sleeping in your bed. You want her to seek him for the warmth and comfort and heart beat. I would start with them right in your bedroom the first few nights and gradually move that sleeping crate/pen further and further away from humans every few nights until you make it to the door/porch/covered back deck/what have you. If she is a complete screaming wreck for more than 15 minutes I'd go backwards.

Where does she normally stay when you are out/away during day time?

8. FiorenzoFamilyFarm

May 23, 2018
    "would start with them right in your bedroom the first few nights"

She is diaper trained. He will not be. He's never been inside of a house. She's never been outside of a house. Polar opposites

"Where does she normally stay when you are out/away during day time?"

I have a son on home hospice so I started working from home. Someone is always, always, always in the house, so she's never been left alone. Ever.

9. lifesabtchlearn2deal

lifesabtchlearn2deal Active Member

Mar 26, 2018
    I personally start mine in my fenced in bsck yard. I have a window where they can see me thru it so I can watch them. I have put singles out there without friends and they did well. But I start it with during the day they're out there longer n longer every day until it's time to start the nights

Dwarf Dad likes this.
  10. Deborah Haney

Deborah Haney Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2017
    I had a bit of a similar situation. I have a wether and a doe. The wether was a bottle baby so we got him when he was 2 weeks old but the doe was being dam raised so, while we were waiting for her to be weaned, Max was a house baby. I tried to leave him outside for an hour or so from time to time but he screamed so much we had neighbors at our fence within 15 minutes thinking it was a baby or something. He was potty trained, he slept in my bed, I didn't go anywhere unless he could go too (I took time off work) OR I had just fed him and knew he would fall asleep so I could sneak out. I can honestly say it was the most enriching experience of my life.

Once Ruby was home, there was no transition. We let Ruby into the yard, she was terrified of people and just tried to hide, but when Max got out there they were instant best friends. I have it on video; I could see the moment they became bonded for life. It sounds like you're already getting her a buddy -- I hope it goes well!

To people who have house goats long-term:
    How?! Since my kids started on solids they poop all time. Diapers slip right off them, even when I use baby suspenders, they don't fit in onsies, how do you manage?

11. Maureen Harmon

Maureen Harmon Active Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Peru, NY
    Shop Vacs! Lots of Shop Vacs!

12. WhiteFeatherFarms

WhiteFeatherFarms Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2017
    I’ve got experience with this too, & what I did was similar to above...Tonight is actually my baby ‘Dalilah’s’ first night OUTSIDE she just got settled down a little bit ago. I put her outside in a 12x12 kennel during the day, got her a new bestie (Violet), & they’re doing pretty well! I would do it slowly, will help you both! Ironically, even with teenagers & 3 dogs, my house felt empty tonight without her