New Info. on Vaccinations

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Candy, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Candy

Candy New Member

I found some new info re: vaccinations. It's supposed to be the latest studies and I thought you all should see it.
    Candy

"Giving a vaccine before the age of 10 to 12 weeks is useless. For a vaccine to work the animal must have a healthy and active immune system. The vaccine itself does not make the animal resistant to the disease. All it does is stimulate the immune system to produce antibodies against the disease. This process takes 4 to 6 weeks to happen and requires AN ACTIVE HEALTHY FUNCTIONING IMMUNE SYSTEM. Goats and sheep are born with NO immune system. They develop one at about the age of 10 to 12 weeks. And that is when vaccinations should start. Until then they are protected by the antibodies they have absorbed in the first few hours of life from their dam's colostrum. Giving a vaccine before then may actually DESTROY some the vital antibodies that the kid got from the colostrum!! This is why I recommended giving the CD antitoxin to newborns, it acts like the natural antibody. The current recommended schedule for giving kids and unvaccinated adult goats the CDT vaccine is to give an initial injection at 10 to 12 weeks old, then booster it TWICE at 3 to 4 week intervals, then give it every 6 months for the best protection. The first injection boosts immunity to 5 to 10 percent. The second boosts it to 30 to 50 percent and the final booster gets it to 60 to maybe as high as 85 percent. Immunity falls rapidly after only 60 to 90 days. It has been shown that goats do not respond as favorably as some other species to vaccines and the CDT vaccine will likely only be about 80% effective at best. But it beats nothing! These findings are fairly recent and vets that have been out of school for more than a few years may not know about them or even not believe them.[/quote]

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wow, very informative....so basically doing my kids CD/T at 6 and 9 weeks is doing more harm than good as far as immunity goes, I don't know if I'd be able to pursuade potential buyers to give them their shots at 10 and 12 weeks as most kids born here are sold at 8 -10 weeks. Guees I should be giving a vets number with there "birth certificates" when they leave so they have the option.

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I had hear previously that vaccinating prior to two months old doesn't do anything. But what is the source of the info you gave?
    BTW my horse vet said that foal vaccines are now recommended for three doses rather the two that was recommended for years. Same thing I think.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes I too have heard that --- not really that much new information but good to bring to light

where did you read this?

5. Candy

Candy New Member

I got the information from Maggie Lehman. She is a Goat 911 Capri Medic. (I'n sure most of you have heard of her) You can e-mail her at maggidans@msn.com or go right to her site http://www.maggidans.com
    She has been working closley with vet schools has the latest info. I trust her completly.
    Candy

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Wow! That is so informative! That makes me feel better about not vaccinating the kids we had born this June. I told the new owners I did not vaccinate them because I want to lean more towards "natural care". But am so nervous about not vaccinating anymore. . . . this makes me feel better! :) Thanks so much for sharing! Yes, I know of Maggie Lehman, she has a nice website and knows a lot about goats. I trust her too. Maybe this is why people raising goats and vaccinating sometimes still have a problem w/ entero??? Because they are not getting the third vaccine? Thanks again for sharing.

7. Candy

Candy New Member

Just a thought but, if you sell your kids before 10 wks, you could give the anti toxin and let the new owners know that they will need to follow up with the full series. The anti toxin should be good for 10 days to 2 wks of protection.
    Candy