The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm almost positive my doe is around 2 month pregnant and I see a lot of people talking about milking their does, is this something that must be done after they kid? Or is a personal option?

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
You milk after they kid. Do you want to milk? I like to wait until the kids are weaned at 8 weeks but some people separate at night and milk in the am after 2 weeks.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I know with my lamancha there is no choice....from the time she kids on. But I was also given a Nubian and didn't have to milk once. So maybe depends on the goat ?????

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
What breed is she? Our Nubian milker, who at her prime during her first freshening is giving 1/2 gallon of milk. She is slowing down now that she is 8 months out from kidding. My family of four needs more milk than that to keep up with making soups, cereal milk, etc.... Plus, I am getting ready to learn about making cheese and butter (and just made my first batch of soap). One doe may give enough for replacing your normal uses for cow's milk, but in our case, it is not enough. So "that much milk" isn't all that much, in all reality. We grow potatoes and such, and goat milk from a good doe makes for some awesome potato soup. Right now it is a shame we are having to dump milk due to medicating her. I can save it for soap, but there is only so much room in my freezer and fridge.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She is a Nubian dwarf, I don't mind milking her, I just want to be sure and do it, if I know she needs it, will it be obvious? This is my first goat ever, I know nothing!! But we love her and want the best for her!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And you can just drink the milk like cows milk? I knew it was good for soap and cheese but I didn't know it was any good to drink whole.....I have so much to learn!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
She is a Nubian dwarf, I don't mind milking her, I just want to be sure and do it, if I know she needs it, will it be obvious? This is my first goat ever, I know nothing!! But we love her and want the best for her!
Yes, you can drink goat's milk just like you can drink cow's milk. A lot of people that are allergic to cow's milk can drink goats milk with no problems. If you don't want to make soap, cheese, or drink it, however, you can just let the kids nurse and not milk your goats. It's up to you on what you want to do. I will give you a heads up on milking goats, though. Should you decide to milk your goats, get or make a milking stand. It's pure hell trying to milk a goat without one - trust me on this! :laugh:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome! I'll get to looking into it! Thank you! Now, if I do decide to milk her, is it just like us humans, the more milk you Ask of her the more she will produce? I don't want to take away from the kids

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
That is true to a point. A goats milking ability is predetermined by her genetics. Milking/nursing will raise production, grain will raise production but, at some point, she will hit that limit regardless of what you do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts