The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hi

Welcome to the wonderful world of packgoats ! I am new at it too but have had goats starting about 50 yrs ago, and learning as I go with pack goats. Others here will chip in, but while you are waiting read ALL of the posts in this section, some great info here.

To me training starts with socializing, and tying and leading. You can do it with 2 almost as easy as with one. Put collars on them and let them get used to them. Then tie them for short then increasingly longer times, its a good time to give them treats or a small amount of grain so they associate tying with pleasant times. Then gradually begin leading, the little guy will be easy, the older one will learn but will be slower . He will be your lead goat just by rank. Are both horned?

Spend lots of time with both of them , you will be their new best friend. If you can do training sessions away from the other goats so the ones being trained wont be distracted, or interfered with.

Enjoy !

·
Registered
297 Posts
I forgot to mention earlier, there are two excellent books available on packing goats: Practical Goatpacking by Carolyn Eddy, and The Pack Goat by John Mioczynski.

With them and all of the threads here you are pretty well started, along with asking questions here.

I agree with Rachel, if the 4 yr old is human aggressive leave him be, unless you know how to make him submissive, otherwise concentrate on the little guy.Chances are he is just used to doing things his own way, being tied and led will be life changing experiences for him. He could be a handful for you over the first couple of weeks. Working often with them is money in the bank as far as the overal training process is concerned, short periods with treats during and at the end will bring them to look forward to training time, keeping the sessions short, 15-20 ins apiece will keep them alert to you and looking forward to time with you.

You'll get some great advice here. Ask lots of questions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts