new kid with cough and snotty nose.....new update! Cocci!!..

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cdtrum, May 4, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I talked to my vet today and he said keep an eye on him, but that I could get some water soluble antibiotic and put in the two new kids water.......so I bought some tetracycline soluble powder....has anyone used this? It says for shipping fever. I also took his temp and it was between 102 - 103.....which is normal right? Any other suggestions?
    Thanks, Denise

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Re: new kid with cough and snotty nose

Could be allergies or a cold.... Do you have Vet Rx? I used it on Cleo when she had that and it cleared up just fine. A couple of drops up the nose 3x/day.

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Yep....I got it and have been using it .....how many days beforeyou noticed improvment?

4. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa

3-4 for real improvement, but within like 2 she was coughin less. Does it bother your kid? didnt seem to bother cleo much. the cough i mean. the meds were about the reaction I expected. :greengrin:

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

He is eating and drinking fine, acting fine.......I just worry about it going into his chest.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

is the snot clear or colored? if it is clear then you are just dealing with a cold more then likely. but if the VetRx doesnt start to help in 2 days and the condition worsens then you will want to start him on antibiotic.

The problem with putting antibiotic in the water is that they have to drink a certain amount and the meds make it taste funny so they dont drink it or enough of it. So you will need to flavor the water. I would put the meds in a small amount of water then when that is finnished each day you can provide new clean water for the rest of the day

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Hey Stacey....his snot is mainly clear and then every once in a while is has a little white tint. I think I'll pass on using the antibiotics in the water..... For the life of me can not figure out how to dose it correctly...it gives doses for like 100 gal of water....my math whiz husband can't even figure it out, to get the dose small enough for him.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

If the goat is acting fine...eating ...drinking....and has no temp.....has clear snot....I just keep an eye on them.....I don't start antibiotics.... unless the goat has a temp.......It is quite normal to see clear snot ....in the mornings and it usually goes away.....on it's own...It can be caused by weather temp changes.....allergies ...... cold................As stacey said .........it is hard to dose per single goat... when it is mixed in there water...sometimes the goat may not drink as much in one day........so a proper dosage... isn't given ....and it could make the goat more susceptible for immunity of the drug........ :hug:

9. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Thanks Pam....I was just out there and he is eating and acting just fine.....he just coughs every now and then and has a runny nose.....his eyes are clear and bright. His breeder said to listen for a rattle in his chest, to me it sounds like it is all in his nose and throat. I'll take his temp in the morning and re-evaluate......I'm using the VetRx and Nutri-drench.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

You are very welcome cdtrum.. :) ...it is good that he is doing OK .....taking his temp is a good idea....that way .....you will know....................normally.... if they are still eating ...and acting normal ....they usually don't have a temp....but checking .... anyway is smart... :wink:
    The breeder is right.... do listen for a rattle in his chest....good luck... :hug: :pray:

that's good..... :wink: :greengrin:

11. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa

One of my boys has allergies and he has a bit of a cough and a runny nose in the spring I treat him with Vet Rx and he has done just fine. I actually love the smell of vet rx myself although he is not quite as fond of it!!

12. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Re: new kid with cough and snotty nose.....new quest?....

Ok.....I am not sure where to go from here.....so I need advice! My little guy is still coughing and runny nose, his temp was 102 this morning, which is good...... He is eating and drinking....a couple of times today, he has sneezed and blew thick white snot.....but other than that it is just clear.... I'm still using VetRx and vitamin C, nutri-drench. If this was your goat what would you do?
    Thanks, Denise

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: new kid with cough and snotty nose.....New Quest?.....

How long has he had this? It does sound like a cold and not an infetion, especially with the normal temp. As long as he is eating and drinking and the snot doesn't turn green or yellow I'd continue with the VetRx. If your weather is anything like mine, Id say it's a contributing factor ( hot, cool,warm, cold) Just listen to his breathing daily/ I probally look funny with a kid plastered to my ear but anytime they are "normal" with a cough or runny nose thats what I do first...listen to the breathing. IF it doesn't clear up in the next couple days and you check his temp daily for sign of fever then I would start an antibiotic.....most times tho it clears on it's own.

14. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Hey Liz.....he has had this since Sunday that I know of. We met the breeder Sunday afternoon, she had traveled 2 hours with him and some other babies she was delivering....she does all the breeding for the Fort Wayne Zoo. I noticed when we were talking to her that he coughed a few times.....I asked her about it and she said that he had just started the coughing, she had noticed that morning that some of the babies had runny noses......she contributed it to the weather, cold, warm, cool....same as you......she said watch him close and listen to his breathing. I spoke to her today and she said she still thought it was the weather changes also.......she said if I wanted as a precaution, give him a low dose of antibiotics and wait 24hrs and see what happens which I really didn't understand, except she said she doesn't like giving antibiotics unless needed......I just don't want this to go into something worse......I have never had one with a cough or runny nose....I also worry about my other guys getting it.....I gave all of them vitamin C today. I am going out now to give him some VetRx......I was also told you can give them Benadryl....?????

15. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Well.....his fever is now 104.....just spoke to vet and he said to give him a baby aspirin tonight and have him at his officeat 8:00am in the morning.....he doesn't want me to start antibiotics tonight because all I have it Pen and he thinks we need to use something stronger if he is getting it in his chest.

16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Yes, Benadryl can be given, it won't help the cough but will help the runny nose. Depending on his weight you can give up to 1 tsp which is equivalet to 5cc. It can make him sleepy.

Since his temp went up Im glad you called the vet( great to have one as wonderful as yours) he'll likely have you put him on a stronger antibiotic.

17. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Re: new kid with cough and snotty nose.....new udate! Cocci!!...

Ok.....well I had him at the vet this morning, good thing is he just has a bad cold.....not in his lungs! Vet gave him a strong antibiotic...... While there my vet ran a fecal.....came back clean for worms, but he is LOADED in cocci :hair: !!!!!!! To many to count! So we have started him on a round of corid (5days)......which my other little new guy just finished a round, his numbers were just up a little when we got him home 2wks ago........vet said in 25 days treat both little guys again with a 5day round......I asked about my older guys and he said they should be ok since they do not share a pen or yard......what would you guys do? Treat the older ones or not :shrug: ? They both just had clean fecals last week and I have them on Molly's Natural Herb Wormers which is also suppose to help keep cocci numbers down.
    Also, just want to share for FYI......he has not had runny poops, he has been eating and drinking just fine, even acting ok....all he had were signs of a cold......vet said if I hadn't brought him in for the cold (because he started running high fever last night) that the cocci would have probably killed him because numbers were so high and his immune system was down from stress and cold. Also, because of all this, vet wants to wait on giving him his CDT.....which means he can't be banded yet :GAAH: !

18. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I was confused about the antibiotic till you said he had a high fever. I am curious why the vet thinks it is a cold when he has a fever :shrug: Plus antibiotics wont help a cold =virus. So my oppion: not a cold but something else, possible infection or early signs of pasturella pneumonia.

As to the cocci - yup, chances are he would have started to have soft poo in the next couple days once the eggs hatched and started to wreek havic.

Moving an animal is very stressful on them. IT isnt uncommon for them to get worms, cocci or a cold, fever etc so dont panick - you have what you need and it will be easily treated and then all will be well.

As to the older boys - I wouldnt worry about them. I am sure they are jsut fine unless their stress level has gone up.

Sounds like for your peace of mind you can treat the boys that need treating and then in a month have them all fecal tested. You will probably find them all getting a clean bill of health.

Thats why I dislike babies and bringing in new goats (doesnt stop me) - stress does a lot to a goat.

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I totally agree with Stacey... :) ..and don't understand the vet either..... :scratch:

starting the kid on antibiotics will do the trick.... :wink:

20. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    It sounds like you were right on top of it and took care of it just in time. Congratulations. Now are any other goats with this little one, like share the same pen and so forth? I had a goat with Cocci and the vet said to pen him away from all the other goats until I was done with the treatment and then clean that stall really well.