new kid with cough and snotty nose.....new update! Cocci!!..

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cdtrum, May 4, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    He said his lungs sounded clear, but irritated and loud and that he was headed to having pneumonia.....he didn't say there was no infection......Bones had horrible thick yellow snot dripping out his nose this morning.....which would be a sign of infection, right? He did say that it was not pasturella. No more than I know about goats, I just have to try and trust my vets. I had called the breeder yesterday and she said it was just probably the weather and that I could give him a low dose of pen if it made me feel better.....when I spoke with my vet last night he said pen would do no good, not strong enough and not to give it to him when he would probably need to give him something stronger today.......so, it is just a guessing game as to who to trust? I do however value the advice I get here....I read it, take it all in and listen to my vet and go with my gut :thumb: ! I had been doing everything I knew to do here at home with no results. Now I just hope and pray that my new kido (Murphy) doesn't get the snot and cough! Yes, your right Stacey about bringing in new goats and babies! I am done with my little herd....4 boys...that's it!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    For some reason... I am thinking the kid has pneumonia..... :scratch: ..... along with the cocci....The cocci dropped the immunity ......along with added stress ...of leaving mom/and the heard.....and it all is hitting at once......If the baby has a temp ..and with the nasal discharge changing color....I'd say.... he has pneumonia starting....but the question is .....can you treat pneumonia at the same time... as cocci/corid...and if so ...how much..... :scratch: :hug:

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Just to clarify something. . . it would not be good to give an antibiotic in a low dose, right? Couldn't that lead to the antibiotic not being effective? Do I have that right? I haven't had to use antibiotics in a long time but still keep them on hand, just in case.

I hope your little boy starts showing improvement soon! Sounds like you are doing everything right!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Well for a kid it is hard to low dose them because you give so much per 10lbs that it basically is a full dose either way. But yes Olivia you want to always give the correct dosage of penicillin even if it is a precaution treatment - dont want immunity to set in (it wouldnt happen that quick though).

As to him saying it is not pasturella - he would need to take a nasal swab and have it tested. I dont think that you can say 100% sure it isnt unless he has a test done. Not saying he has Pasturella but it certainly comes on fast and the only signs of it in many cases is a low fever and then they are dead. Thats why it is called silent pneumonia.

If the snot changed colors - it is pneumonia or a sinus infection etc. It isnt just a cold at that point.

It could have started out as a cold mind you. But just like my friend who went to the doctors. He said "you had allergies which caused a sinus infection which caused pressure in your nasal cavities which resulted in an ear infection" This all happened in less then 2 weeks time from the onset of her allergies. So if it happends in humans it can happen in animals - top it off with stress and it can happen faster.

vets like to push antibiotics (doesnt matter how nice a vet they are) I rather treat at home due to the price factor and I am not a big med pusher. BUT that said: I agree he needed something stronger then pen because with a respitory problem (coughing and yellow nasal discharge) you want to use something stronger. An OC med I like is LA 200 or Biomycin. There are many others that just a vet can provide.

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    The antibiotic he put him on was Excede I believe.....he said it is realitivly new and they are having good sucess with it....it last for 5 days and then depending on how he is doing, we will re-evaluate and if he needs another injection then vet will give one.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow.... it last for 7 days !
    Was it labeled for cattle....? If it works ...I might be looking into... using it myself when needed.... :wink:

here is a link for cattle...can't see one for goats....but... usually cattle vaccines are used for goats...(off label) If this is what was used... it sounds pretty promising..... :greengrin:

http://www.excede.com/Excede.aspx?count ... BF&sec=100

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I wouldn't know if it were label for cattle....the vet gave the shot. I just know that if he isn't 100% better Monday, I am to take him back in......the good thing with my vet is that as long as we are dealing with an on going problem, my vet does not charge me except for the meds every time we go back. I also asked my vet about using the Corid with giving the antibiotics and he said it was fine.
    Oh....and I have LA200 here at home, I asked vet about giving him that last night....he said it would be better than Pen, but he still didn't think it would be enough, he said I could give it and see, but he really thought he would need something strong to kick this crap in the butt......we had been dealing with this since Sunday and things were getting worse......this little guy had a cough and runny nose when I picked him up......I just knew in my gut that there was something going on with him, but did that stop me from taking him?...No....even though I knew better.......but I so badly wanted a friend for Murphy.
    I have to say though he is soooooo adorable, he is a great little guy......now if I can just get him healthy and keep Murphy from getting it.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is good to know... thank you for asking..... :greengrin:

Can you ask the vet.... if it is for cattle.... I am curious....at your convince of course... :wink: no hurry..........
    sounds like ....you have a good vet there ...very reasonably priced to..... :wink: :D