new kid with diarrhea

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by citygoat, Jun 14, 2009.

1. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    i just bought a 3 month old nanny goat yesterday she looks very healthy and she had normal poop yesterday she was out nibbling hay with my buck and eating some cracked corn with the chickens. today she has light colored diarrhea she is still crying alot about every 30 minutes or so she starts in. i was tols that she was winged but she keeps looking for teats on my billy. how should i treat her or is it just a change in diet or stress?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome to the goat spot.... :wave: :wink: :greengrin:

3 months old ....they may of just pulled her.. from the momma ...as you took her....or was starting the weaning process....she will get stressed out .....from the separation of her momma and now a new home and new surroundings..... Could be diet change with her stool.....make sure... if she is getting something new ........to gradually introduce...it to her ....slowly.....no matter ...what you are feeding to her.... if her little system isn't use to it.....she may start to scour...

Yes it does sound like stress and diet change causing it.....if she was fine before and now off.....
    Give her some pepto bismal.....to helps with scours....If it doesn't clear her up in a couple of days have a fecal done and test for worms and cocci.....

Has she been wormed yet?

And has she had her CD&T tenus toxoid?

Get some loose salt and minerals....for cattle or one that is specified for goats....they need copper....free choice

Also Have ...free choice baking soda.. for her ... :wink:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    assuming your buck is now a wether??? If not then she needs to be separated from him.

Corn is not good for goats in large quantities. The change in diet is probably the culprit. I would keep her away from the corn and give her some pepto.

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Stacey.... if the billy is still intact... she cannot be with him............
    It is reccommended that she is around a year old ...dependng on her size.......if he is a wether it is OK....for her to be with him. :wink:

5. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    yay.. It might have been the corn. Once my goats got a hold of a little bit of corn and they got the runs. :scratch:

6. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    my buck is intact she told me that it would be fine to put them together because she wouldn't go into heat untill she was old enough to breed. but ill go ahead and seperate them. i didn't even think to ask about deworming or cd&t. i have safeguard should i go ahead and deworm her or wait untill the diarrhea clears up? i got her from the critter swap at tractor supply and the lady just said that she was weaned and 3 months old, she was packing up to leave so i didn;t spend to much time talking to her. i seen her eating some hay today but she only ate a few pecies of grain. im feeding blue seal. ill give her some pepto and see if that helps any. i have a mineral salt block for goats called a billy block. is that ok?

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    not going into heat until she is old enough to breed -- oh I am sorry to say but that lady is wrong. Does who are mini breeds and boers can cycle as early as 2 months old and those that are standard dairy breed will start to cycle in August or September - and she wont be old enough to be bred.

You want her to be at last 9 months old if she is a dwarf or if she is a standared dairy goat then she should be 8months or 80lbs before she is bred.

i am glad you are separating her, she will need a buddy as being alone can cause them to go into a depression especialy when that young. Now if they can see eachother it might work.

As to the safeguard yes you can give that. be sure to triple the goats weight and then dosage accordingly. I reccomend you also worm her with ivermectin.

Take a stool sample to the vet to check for worms and cocci. I would wager that she wasnt in the best of care till you got her since the owner didnt think that putting her in with an intact buck would be a problem, sorry but that is a big no no in my book. You are not a fault, you are trying your best. I would just rather you know up front what you are dealing with as teh runs could be from cocci or worms or both as you do not know the farm she came from and her whole situation.

3 months is old enough to wean. Is she eating hay and drinking water? you dont want her to get dehydrated

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree with Stacey, seperating the buck from her would be best, I've had mini does go into their first heat at 3 months old....and to be bred at that age is not a very good thing.

Everyone gave great advice on what should be done for her, so I won't add to the confusion. I hope she feels better soon.

9. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    i havent seen her drink any water but she is eating grain now. and last night she was eating some pen oak that we put in there after trimming the trees and she was eating hay. i dont see any diarrhea today and her back end is clean so im hoping that it has cleared up. i have the safegaurd for goats, should i still triple the weight? i always just went with the doasge on the back of the bottle. i only have the two goats and there in a 1/2acre fence with some chickens and ducks. the only way i could seprate them would be to put them on chains and i dont know how that would work out. i might be able to run some fence but if he gets out of her sight she cries untill i come outside, she wont go looking for him, and he wont come back to her if he's to interested in eating. but usually she sticks right with him. i wonder if they make fancy pants like they do for dogs for when they go in to heat? if she has already had her cd&t shot would it hurt her to give it to her agian? thanks for all the info i really appercaite it.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad that the diarrhea has stopped....that is good news. :thumbup: ...I am sorry... you have to separate them... but it is for the best....you may have to get her.. a new doe friend to keep her company.....

I am not sure ..about safeguard for goats...I don't use it ...so I cannot recommend dosage...hope someone comes along ..and can answer that for you.... :hug:

no... giving her another CD&T shot ......will not hurt her...also give her a booster shot of it again....... in 21 to 28 days later.... :greengrin:

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what breed are we talkign about here with teh buck and doeling?

How old is the buck? Can you wether him? That would be best if you wont separate them.

As to the safeguard - yes triple the goats weight.

I would also see about getting other wormers as safeguard rarely kills anything but tapeworms in goats.

12. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    she is boarXalpine and he is a BoarXnubain. she is now eating a drinking and seems healthy, but the crying in driving me insane. she stands at the gate a crys untill i come out then as soon as i leave she crys for at least 30 miutes. all she has to do is walk to the shealter and she'll be right beside my buck and i feed them there aswell so she sees him when she eats or drinks but i dont think she is interested in being his friends at all. :( my buck is two years old.

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Glad to hear that she is doing better, I may suggest finding her a buddy close to her age though, wether or another doe, she's crying out of loneliness.

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    but the crying in driving me insane. she stands at the gate a cry's until i come out then as soon as i leave she cry's for at least 30 minutes. Don't breed her and wean the babies.
    If you are going insane with one goat crying, try 12.

She is crying because she needs another goat to snuggle with hand play with, not just to look at. Goats are herd animals and they need to be with other goats.

15. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    I agree with what a lot of others have said. She needs a friend close to her same age/size. She is a baby and he is an adult, they aren't going to be friends.

But, also as others have said, if you don't seperate them, they are bound to become MORE than friends, and way before you (or she) is ready. Really.

If you don't want to or can't buy another young doeling for her to play with, look for a little wether companion, they are a dime a dozen in most places. I sell mine to pet homes for $25 or less, b/c if possible, I'd rather see them as pets than as dinner.

16. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    Also, you may want to consider finding an older wether for the buck. He's bound to be lonely too, even if he doesn't cry all the time.

Too many people neglect their bucks (not saying you, just saying that some people do) and expect them to perform optimally when they only get attention or companionship for a couple months out of every year. I always have several bucks so they keep each other entertained and get good exersize. I hate to see single bucks locked away in ucky pens with overgrown feet. If they are good enough to use, they are good enough to be treated well all year. That's my rant for the day, thanks for playing :type:

17. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    would my buck try to fight with a wether? i had two bucks but they constantly were fighting untill their horns were bleeding so sold the bigger one. im sure i could find a wether around i see them on craigs list all the time.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    a wether has nothing to prove so no they wouldnt be fighting all the time like bucks can do.

If you get one wether get two as suggested and give both your goaties companions :greengrin:

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree.... wethers are not main challenge fighters....they may play ....being butt heads....but they give in ....pretty quickly to an intact buck..... :wink: