New kid with stuffy nose

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by trailhound, Mar 29, 2008.

1. trailhound

trailhound New Member

Mar 22, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have a new kid that I got 1 week ago. She is about 7 weeks old. Since I got her (she came with it) she has had a little bit of a runny/crusty nose. This morning she sounds a little stuffed up. She is eating, drinking, playing with vigor, should I be worried, or just keep an eye on her and make sure it doesn't get worse as long as she is eating, drinking and active?

Thanks for the help! I am new to goats, and the vet at the practice I use that specializes in goats was out of town this week, I will have her out soon for a checkup and to give any vaccines and such.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    usually with stuffy noses I give a couple ccs of Nutri Drench (or you can use liquid childrens vitamines - basically the same thing) to boost their system. I also give some drops of VetRx. If you have a TSC (tractor supply company) near you they carry it.

goats can get colds to so that is probably what she has.

3. trailhound

trailhound New Member

Mar 22, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thanks, I do have a TCS, will run over today.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    they might even carry the Nutri Drench - I never checked. But the beaf drench is the same stuff so that would work too.

5. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    When we got our first NDG's, one little doeling had a runny nose and she was a little withdrawn. Vet put her on Penicillin for 5 days. She became another goat, playing and happy with the rest.