New kids

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Annette Souder, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Annette Souder

Annette Souder New Member

Mar 1, 2019
    Calimesa Ca
    I have 2 new Nigerian boys born Thursday night. Both are eating well but one seems to be breathing a little raspy. He is nursing fine and moving around fine. Should I be worried?

MadHouse likes this.
  2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Maybe. Get a temp on him. Silent pneumonia comes to mind, a temperature does not always exhibit. Make sure he is very warm, alert, - I would go out at least every three hours to check. Give us a temp so we can help you further. Pneumonia can take babies down really fast!

MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.

3. Annette Souder

Mar 1, 2019
    Calimesa Ca
    Thank you. I will get the temp. He is warm and dry and is up and moving just like his brother but I just don’t like the sound of his breathing.

MadHouse likes this.
  4. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Also I would weigh him daily.... great antibiotics are Nuflor and Draxxin. I hate when it's the weekend and we worry about our goats.

MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.
  5. Annette Souder

Mar 1, 2019
    Calimesa Ca
    His temp is 103.5. My scale broke and the new one comes today so I will get his weight this afternoon. He is up and playing with his brother. Eating urinating and pooping.

MadHouse likes this.
  6. Annette Souder

Mar 1, 2019
    Calimesa Ca
    I live in California bad we can’t buy Antibiotics at the feed store like in other states. I do have a good vet and I will call her out if I need to I just hate to do that if it is t necessary.

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.
  7. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    The temp is slightly high, I would recheck in a few hours and if it is over 103.5 and the raspy breathing continues, you'll need antibiotics from the veterinarian. Was he born breech by chance?

8. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    X reference- Raspy Breathing- Health & Wellness

MadHouse likes this.
  9. Annette Souder

Mar 1, 2019
    Calimesa Ca
    Thank you all for your help. His temp is 103 now. His breathing is much quieter now.