New LaMancha Doe Won't Eat, Acts Fine, Bred.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by tracyqh, Nov 5, 2010.

1. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    We bought a new LaMancha doe Tuesday. She's low man on the pole, but I only let her out when I'm home so I can watch her. She just hasn't ate very well at all since arriving at the farm. She's bright, friendly, energetic, but doesn't want to eat. We've offered her snacks of sunflower seeds, raisins and I feed her in her own stall so she has no competition. I've offered her other types of hays, grains, etc. Nothing. She is my 1st registered doe and is due in Feb. She's not overly big, but she is a FF. I'll try to post pics. The ppl said they hand breed thier does so they know she was bred in September and never came back in. I was going to pull blood and send to BioTracking. Any thoughts would be GREAT!
    Thanks!

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hm, maybe give her some probios and nutridrench, maybe she just needs a pick me up.
    take her temperatue to make sure she doesn't have an infection.

3. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    I have the probios and will stop at TSC to get some nutridrench. What is the dosage on the B-Complex?

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with "Katrina".... get a temp.... if she has a high one ...start on antibiotics...for 5 days....if her temp is really high... if you can get banamine.. ..will help drop temp and give appetite.... or if you can't get Banamine....give vit B complex.... to help with Appetite....

She also may be depressed.. from the move to her new home ... scared and unsure ..... If she isn't running a fever ....give the probiotic paste and baking soda..... I would also give vit B complex to boost appetite.... :hug:

You mentioned she is low man on the poll...so I assume she already is around your other goats..... All new comers are low man..... she needs to fight for her rights.... but if she is sick you will have to get her better for the battle...

Try to take her to an area where.. she can graze with a docile goat buddy .... to make friends with....during the day..... unless she is running a temp.... then she should be put in a clean dry and warm stall.... if it is cold there.... keeping her away from drafty area's.... and start treatment... :hug:

How is her gum color and do you know if... she was wormed at all ..if so then when?

Dosage of B complex is on the bottle.... can't recall the amount...

5. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    Thanks. I have access to all the meds. :leap: Work for an equine vet. :shades:

I ran home and checked on her. No temp, gums and eyes look good, but "cries" alot. Turned her out with the herd and she went to the creek and started grazing. I think she is just depressed. I'm going to hit her with the B Complex tonight. She has access to baking soda in her stall and in the pasture 24/7. Poor girl. She clings to me. If she'd fit in a backpack, I'd just tote her along! :laugh:

She's due early/mid Feb. She's not real big, but the lady hand breeds her does and said she never came back in after being covered. I'm scrowning around the clinic to find our ultrasound external scanner. All of the mares are done rectally, so the scanner we have on now won't work for goats. I'm going to pull blood on her this weekend to send to the lab for a pregancy check, but the ultrasound would be nice. I could cheat and see how many are in there and maybe pink or blue? :greengrin:

My LaMancha/Boer doe is due Jan 28th and is the size of a HEIFER! My youngest son said, "She's got EIGHT babies in her!!!!". If I can find the external scanner, I'd just check to be sure. I'm not big on surprises and with my horse background, we know just about all of the when, what, how's of what's going on in there. I have a feeling though these goats are going to be playing alot of tricks on me and giving me plenty of surprises. :chin:

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is super news... :thumb: ........sounds like.... she is starting to feel a little better about her new surroundings..... :wink: :thumb:

Good luck with her..... :hug: :thumbup:

7. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    I have her the B-Complex, probiotics and she has the baking soda, just not wanting to eat. She seems fine, but doesn't touch her grain. :hair:

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    She is grazing...and eating hay right?

She might not like the grain you are giving to her..... some goats are picky when it comes to that..... what kind if grain... are you are feeding....?

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    as long as she has access to loose minerals and is grazing or eating hay then grain isnt that important for her to eat.

10. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    She is on pasture all day and browses. At night she's in her stall with minerals, hay and fresh water. She is on a goat chow sweet blend. I haven't even found any snacks she likes. All my others are pigs. She's my 1st registered doe and is pregnant. Maybe i just worry too much! She's due Feb. 19th.

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Have you tried cob dry? If you have a grain... you want to feed her and she doesn't like it....and if she likes cob dry...all the goats I've had do..... then... you can put just a tiny sprinkle of the grain ...you want her to actually eat in the cob dry.....doing this... a little at a time ...will help her get a taste for it...after a little while... and she cleans it up....put a little more in the cob...not alot more.... until you get up to the amount.... you want her to have..... try the cob dry and let us know if she eats it..... :thumb:

12. strummer

strummer New Member

Nov 9, 2010
    I have a yearling doe that is having a similar problem, except she was born on our property. She has never been a grain-a-holic, but she slowly lost interest. I was ok with it as she still ate her hay, but then she lost interest in that as well. Her temp dropped precipitously. I took her to the vet and they gave her IV fluids, C&D antitoxin, and CMPK. The also gave her a dose of something called posilac. It's supposed to improve liver function in dairy animals. I actually noticed blood in her urine when she got home. She still refused to eat so I force fed her tender greens like honeysuckle, comfrey, and turnip greens. The next day she still wasn't eating, I talked to a friend about the blood in her urine and she talked about a urinary infection. Her kidneys were probably also shutting down. We decided to give her some LA200. (Oxytetracyclene). A few hours later she was drinking and eating on her own. Over the next day or so her temp improved to normal range, but her appetite is still weak and she still refuses grain. I haven't gotten a good answer from the vet.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Sven

13. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    My girl has finally settled in and is doing great! Even has started to put herself on the stand. I guess she was just shy at first.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is terrific.....I am so glad... to hear that..... :thumb: :greengrin: :hi5:

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    happy to hear she is settling in and getting use to the routine :D