New little one has scours!!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Tog Lovers, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    This afternoon the Vet came out and disbudded our new little guy. Well the horns were already getting a little on the big side so he cut and burned them. (He was put out for this) Now he has scours. It is really bad as in pretty much water and it is really green but he has been eating alot of green pasture. We have him in the house and he just keeps going. We have given him a total of about 15cc of pepto over a 2 hr. period. He is not dehydrated yet as he is peeing as much as he is pooping. I gave him some electrolites. He is up and walking around but he is nowhere near his usual self. He isn't crying or calling. And he isn't even trying to chew on my pants which normally is a problem with him. His pupils are really dialated. Called the vet back and he sugggested Kaopectate instead of Pepto so Rich is at Wal-mart looking for it. (He has no idea what he is looking for but didn't want to stay home and clean up poopy!!)

Does anyone have any idea what else I can do to help this little one? Can I mix Probios in the electrolites? The only yogurt I have is the BeneFit brand. It says it is probiotic but I'm not sure if it is the same stuff a goat would need.

His poor little bum is so red and sore looking. I feel really awful!

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Right now, I'd say that he is having a reaction to being anestithsed(sp?) I'd wait to give him the Kaeopectate if he's had the pepto recently. The yogurt you have should be fine as long as it has live cultures...which most do have. As long as he is willing to take the electrolytes and isn't dehydrated he should be back to himself in a few hours. I have not ever dealt with this and this is just my " what I would do" type of suggestion and I do hope that he starts to get back to himself very soon. Go with what the vet suggested, and don't hesitate to call him/her again if theres no improvement by tomorrow.

3. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    Thanks Liz! I thought it might be a reation to something. And the vet really pumped in the antibiotic too. I just get so worried. Geez, you'd think I was a new Mom or something. He is sleeping right now at my feet. It's going to be a long night seeing as how he dosen't want to be left alone.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thats a very good sign that he wants you near him...if he was being stand offish then I would be really worried! He's probably still groggy from the meds too so he'll be sleepy for awhile.

He's a bottle baby isn't he? If so then you shouldn't have any problems getting and keeping him hydrated...my year old buck still takes a bubby if I feel he's not drinking enough on hot days...makes it a little easier when they want it as opposed to "making" them get it.

5. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    How's your little man doing? Hope he's well today. :hug:

6. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    He seems much better today. The Kaopectate worked much better than the Pepto. After giving him the first dose he went 3 hrs without pooping at all. I'm glad we bought those electrolites. We got them from a vendor at a show and even thought maybe we shouldn't spend the money. That little voice kept saying "but What if..." His energy is back up and he is bouncing around the kitchen. He even managed to get up on the counter! We managed to keep him hydrated as he peed all night. He still has a little soft poo but it is nowhere near what it was last night. The poor guy was going like every min and it was real watery. So now he is bouncing off the walls And I'm tired from being up all night.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thats wonderful news!! So glad to hear that he is doing better! :dance:

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    anesthetic can slow down the GI tract, however large doses of antibiotics will give the scours!

When my little bottle babies that I ended up purchasing had scours, I gave them yogurt and pepto and they were good within a day.

Some animals, when stressed will also get scours.

If his bum is still raw, get some vasaline and coat his bum and down the backs of his legs so that he doesn't get burnt skin.

Hope that he is much better!

9. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    when i get one that scours from stress i mix 3cc of nutra drench & 3cc of pepto & it seems to work well