new member...goat depressed?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by beachbreak, Aug 26, 2016.

1. beachbreak

beachbreak New Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Hi all
    I found this forum because I was looking for help for my pigmy goat.
    I had 2 sisters, and one male in my 2 acre pasture. 5 days ago a coyote got in and finished off one of the sisters...the next night same coyote got the male and ate him, and managed to bite but not kill the last sister. now the remaining sister wont eat...she seems depressed and its just getting worse. i am getting ready to force feed her as she is withering away to nothing.
    any ideas?

2. brigadoonfarmgal

brigadoonfarmgal New Member

Jul 14, 2016
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss...I know how hard that can be.

How old is your little goat? How badly and where was she bitten? What is she currently eating (feed type)? Is there anything else besides not eating that concerns you about her behavior or physical appearance?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Is she out of that pasture? She is probably in shock. You need to at least start with B complex and probiotics.

4. brigadoonfarmgal

Jul 14, 2016
    Good advice :)

If you don't have probiotics on hand in a pinch plain yogurt orally will work (don't give it to her cold though warm it on your way to her with your body temp). I would try to get at least 5 ccs into her (depending on her size) without traumatizing her to much... I would squirt small amounts into her mouth on the side ( try to stay above the tongue) be careful of those razor sharp back teeth. Then I would make my way to get Probios or another probiotic and Vit B to give her upon my return just like Karen suggested.

5. beachbreak

beachbreak New Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Thanks to you both for your response. she was before the attack on pasture only. after, i moved her into a pen, and kept in a small barn at night. she hasn't eaten since that night (except for a couple of leaves 2 nights ago)
    a neigboor recommended AL200..i hjust gave her 6ML IM.
    she was too weak to stand and the injection hurt...
    im now waiting to see if the AL200 does aything.
    in a few min i will get some plain yougurt in her mouth and pick up some sweet feed...i have to leave for work in an hour...

6. brigadoonfarmgal

Jul 14, 2016
    I am unfamiliar with AL200 but I know of a LA200 is this what you are giving? You said she was bitten but did not say how badly and where? Is she running a fever? I would not give her sweet grain if her rumen is not working correctly. I would offer safe green leaves as many as she would like to eat or good quality hay and clean fresh water. I also would get that Vit B shot like Karen said into her asap to help stimulate her to want to eat and to get thiamine into her system. The reason I asked if you saw anything of note in her appearance was to see if she was swelling or looked gassy or tight over her left side (the rumen side) or if you noticed a difference between the left and right side sizes when you look at her. Also look at her lower eye lids and her gums and check the color ...if they are not nice and pink a whole lot more could be going on. The last thing is be careful for yourself (or anyone else) who might be treating her. I do not know where you live but I do know if one of my livestock were to be bitten by a wild animal and I had not given them the rabies vaccine I would treat them as though they had been exposed to rabies while I was doctoring them.

7. beachbreak

beachbreak New Member

Aug 26, 2016
    You are right, LA200
    Yesterday I picked up some electrolytes, and some B complex. today, she is more alert, and eating alfalfa hay! There was no swelling on other side, just the opposite, just getting thinner...at least now she is slowly eating and not as thin this mid day.
    Im very optimistic as this day moves forward!

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How old is she?

If she hasn't had CD&T vaccine, she needs a tetanus toxoid shot right away.

If she has puncture wounds, they should be flushed daily for a few days with a light tea color iodine/water solution.
    Did you clean out the wounds? If not, that bacteria is still there and needs to be cleaned. Keep flies off of it too.

No grain until she is doing better.

I agree fortified vit B comoplex SQ 6 cc per 100 lbs along with probitioc, but give them a few hours after antibiotics are given.

If you are using LA200 only give it SQ for 5-7 days. 1cc per 25lbs. It will kill of the infection.

She may get worms or cocci from the stress.

Poor girl, I am so sorry that happened. :(

9. brigadoonfarmgal

Jul 14, 2016
    I am glad she is feeling better fingers crossed for you! I would give her a tetanus antitoxin injection and I would still be protecting myself while vetting her just in case!

10. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Be sure to continue the LA-200 injections for at least 7 days. Animal bites are very very infectious and even if she looks 100% better, it's important to finish the course of antibiotics.

Curious if you would mind sharing what country/state you are from? Did anybody see the actual coyote? This would be an unusual occurrence in my part of the country, but we do have lots of coyote.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California