New member, western WA state

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by LatigoLiz, Sep 25, 2008.

1. LatigoLiz

LatigoLiz Boise Creek Boers

Sep 25, 2008
    Enumclaw, WA
    Hi all. I look forward to browsing, reading and learning tons from this group. We just got our 2 goats from the auction a couple of weeks ago. Pretty much a rescue situation as they were very malnourished and most of the buyers were probably meat buyers.

Anyway...we got our 2 girls to be our brush-clearing machines. Once they are a bit more halter broke and also healthier then we will rotate them around the many parts of our 10 acres to do brush control on invasive species (mostly Himalayan blackberries).

If anyone has any specific links to share about poisionous species, please send them along. One of the books I have mentions certain species of weeds being toxic to goats and it was my understanding that those certain ones were actually OK. I don't have the list handy, but will get it soon. The Fias Co Farm list is a good one that I already have, but I would like more detailed info.

I'll share more pics and stuff later. In the meantime, you can see our girls on my blog (the link is in my signature).

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Glad that you found us Liz!!! You need anything let me know!

PS. My colt is leaving in about 1 1/2 weeks. We are just waiting on his coggins test~

3. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Welcome to The Goat Spot!!! glad you saved your goats from the meat market!!! I hope they do great for you!

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Welcome to TGS!!! I'm from Yakima area. Glad you found us! :wave:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome.

As to the plant list -- Fiasco farm has a pretty good one

But if you have a specific plant you want to know about just ask and we can give particulars

Many list have Oak trees as poisonous and if that were the case i should have dead goats! we have basically only oak and pine around here and they LOVE LOVE the oak as well as the acorns.

Stacey

6. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    In your signature, it is so true--- no horse will teach you as much as your first horse. I got my first horse when I was nine and kept him for 7 years before selling him. I regret having done that. He taught me how to ride--- and right before I sold him I truly realized what it's like to be one with a horse--- where you just 'think' of doing something, and the horse immediately does that thing. I miss my old Dan . . . :tears:

7. LatigoLiz

Sep 25, 2008
    Enumclaw, WA
    Stacey,

Thanks! I like the Fias Co Farm one, but it doesn't give much information...I am thinking a good book may be in order someday...I know horse stuff, now I just need to learn the goat stuff.

Well, I guess I have the most worry about bindweed/"Morning Glory" as it was listed as toxic in one of the books I have here. And buttercup. I do know that it is possible to counteract the more "toxic" plants by making sure other plant types are available to neutralize/counteract the toxins in the plants. guess I just need to make sure that I can do everything gradually and supplement so that their little guts can handle whatever diet that we have available at the time.

8. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    <------ My first horse. Rebels Hope, best darn horse that laid a hoof on this earth. IMHO :) She was also my first. Long time gone now. Now i have three minis and a draft. . . . I like extremes :roll:

Welcome to TGS What kind of goaties do you have?

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    unfortunatly books on goats are few and far between --- and getting ones with accurate up to date information can be difficult.

I do have a medical one that I really love

Sheep and Goat Medicine by DJ Pugh

10. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Welcome Liz, I sure am glad you found us. Your goats look very cute!!!

11. CountryGalwGoats

CountryGalwGoats New Member

Welcome Liz, ask anything you want here. We may not know all the answers, but it is very helpful getting everyone's thoughts on each topic!

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME :wave: Glad that you are here with us.

Have you had goats before these two lucky ones? If not can i recommend that you get a good loose mineral. One that is made for goats, NOT sheep and goats. They need the Cooper where the sheep can not have it. It needs to be a loose one because they would burn a hole in their tougue before they are able to get all the minerals that they need, plus I have seen goats break a tooth trying to bite the mineral because they needed so much, and if these were sent to the sale barn, more then likely they were not taken very good care of.

Glad they have you now. :clap:

13. LatigoLiz

Sep 25, 2008
    Enumclaw, WA
    Thanks for all of the great welcome messages. We're pretty sure Ginger is a Boer and Pepper is a Nubian (or Nubian cross).

Two weeks ago:
    [​IMG]
    One week later:
    [​IMG]

I'll see if I can find that book by DJ Pugh. Thanks for the tip. The 2 books I am looking at adding to my library are Goats: Small-Scale Herding for Pleasure and Profit and Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats. They are the 2 I liked most when I checked out a bunch from the library. I have one more on hold that is coming, but it hasn't come in yet.

These are our first foray into goats. It's been something we have wanted to do for a while, but we finally bit the bullet when the hubby got tired of running the weed whacker and the motorized Billy Goat brand brush mower.

I will see if I can find some loose mineral. Any recommendations for online stores that carry the best products for the best prices would be great!

They have made a mess of the loose salt I had in a little pan. I need to put a feeder on the wall in their stall. I have one, just need to mount it.

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    LatigoLiz welcome to the goat spot,thanks for dropping in................. :wave:

15. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    Welcome. Once your girls become in better health from better nutrition you will find that a bite from this or that.....that may be toxic will not usually cause too much upset. The problem usually arises when goats are tethered and are forced to eat what they can reach....the same being true if on too small of lot with toxic plants available. Bracken ferns are suppose to tie up B vits, if you have rhodies around your house they can be extremely toxic, I have foxglove in the pasture but nobody touches them. I believe horse tails are toxic too. I had a holly tree with berries that the goats/llamas ate completely down.......the berries are suppose to be toxic but all lived and no problems noticed. Tansy can cause liver problems. Goats are browsers taking a bite of this and that but when limited that is when you usually see problems. The other big issue is moldy grain or hay or even too much grain or hay can cause digestive upset. Goats are great animals to have. Good Luck!
    Sue

16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hi Liz and welcome....your girls are very lucky to have found you! I'm a "Liz" also so this is wierd...sounds like I'm talking to myself :ROFL:

BTW...My goats have all but destroyed my "tame morning glories" and no one has been sick from them, I don't know if the wild would be the same as I do have that around in abundance, theydon't seem to bother the wild stuff....just MY stuff!

17. LatigoLiz

Sep 25, 2008
    Enumclaw, WA
    Thanks. I am mostly worried about morning glory/bindweed and other low-growing plants. We have some that I for sure know about that I won't let them near anyway (boxwood, azalea, rhodies, etc.) but the ones that give me most concern are the ones that are the ones in the areas we need eaten down. I have pretty much decided no tethering if we cna at all avoid it. Instead we will do small pen movement.

For now, they have a stall and paddock of their own and I bring them loads of blackberries and dandelions and other good weeds and they have free choice hay. At night I am giving them an orchard hay pellet mash with a touch of Conklin brand FastTrack probiotic and a tiny handful of a horse supplement (LMF SuperSupplement Growth formula) as it is what I have on hand and will look into goat-specific stuff at the local feed stores (we have access to quite a few). They also have access to free choice loose white salt and fresh water.

I did give them a goat drench and a worming with SafeGuard the day we brought them home. I am probably going to do a SafeGuard 5 day series here in a little bit since I have a whole bottle. The antibiotics (Naxcel) are almost done for the week to help with the goopy eyes and respiratory issue that they brought home. I would like to see them put on some muscle and fat, but I know it can take time as I have been in rescue circles for horses and you don't want to bring them back too fast and develop refeeding syndrome problems.

We're working on halter training slowly so we can take them for weed walks around the property, too. Just have to do it when the yellow lab is in his kennel so we don't have total mayhem. Hopefully we can get both the dog and the goats used to each other so neither freaks or gets too excited. :)

Thanks again for everyone's tips. Keep 'em coming and I will keep reading around here. For the most up-to-date pics and posts please visit my blog as there is more there, and lots of horse stuff, too.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like you are on the right track. They look so much better already!

I just have to mention I noticed you feed Fastrack --- thats awesome :thumbup:

19. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    You have done such a great job! You should be a very proud goat mommy! Your goats are beautiful!!!

20. LatigoLiz

Sep 25, 2008
    Enumclaw, WA
    Thanks. I'll be a really proud and happy goat mama once these girls have some muscle on them! They still look so hungry despite the fat little bellies they have now.