new mom, clumpy poops

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by chiara, Jun 22, 2010.

1. chiara

chiara New Member

Nov 21, 2009
    portland, or
    Hi everyone,

My FF minimancha had triplets unassisted 4 days ago. 2 days ago she started having clumpy poops. everyone seems healthy otherwise, although she seems to be slimming down a LOT (don't know if this is par for the course when nursing triples or not). she's eating and drinking fine. I cut down on her grain to about 1/2 cup twice a day since she's gotten clumpy on too much grain before. However, right after she gave birth, I have her about 1 1/2 cups of grain. Should I be worried? Free choice baking soda is on offer out there. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Chiara

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    its not uncommon for does to get softer stools after kidding. But I would have her stools checked for worms just to be sure. I wouldnt reduce her grain as she needs it for her milk production.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Kidding ... stresses out a doe ...in which... can trigger poo problems....like worms or cocci...have her fecal checked.... just in case.... :wink:

4. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Some internal parasites -- barberpoles, for sure -- actually come out of a sort of hibernation state called hyperbiosis at or around the time of kidding and begin to shed MILLIONS of eggs, seemingly out of nowhere. The phenomenon itself is known, in terms of fecal egg counts, as the "periparturient rise."

Around here, does with access to pasture are dewormed either on the day of, or on the day after they kid. Most folks follow up dewormings with a 2nd deworming 10 days later.

If your doe has or had access to pasture, I'd personally deworm her now. If you don't want to deworm on the chance that her parasite burden isn't the issue, a fecal egg count would be beneficial.

5. chiara

chiara New Member

Nov 21, 2009
    portland, or
    thanks, folks. will check fecal.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.
    The days of worming for the sake of it are ending. This practise is one of the reasons parasites have built up a resistance to many anthelmintics across the country. Have FEC's done and worm as needed.
    These are the people who are on top of parasite control in goats.

http://www.scsrpc.org/