The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
AddisonandSpike
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new mommy (1 week) that started having a tar like discharge from her anus yesterday. She now has sandy green discharge. I have given her neomycin electrolytes probiotic paste. Can I give b complex from tractor supply to a goat. It's not labeled for use on goats. Oh and I dewormed. Any other suggestions? Maybe cut out all grain and just give hay. She's still up but hiding in the shed

·
14,615 Posts
Good thing you wormed, what did she get? She's going to need another dose about 10 days later.
You can give her B Complex, is she not eating?
Sometimes blood from discarge gets all over up the tail head & looks like it's coming from anus so I would keep an eye out for fresh poop.

and dont forget to get a temp

·
AddisonandSpike
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Safeguard. Should I give an antibiotic I have dura pen liquamycin la200 and duramtcyn 72-200

·
Registered
31,033 Posts
I would get her some calcium ASAP...also treating with proplyene glycol for ketosis..

Proplylene glycol dosed at 60 cc orally twice a day can be used, but this product is hard on her kidneys and goats usually don't like it. An alternative to propylene glycol is a combination of 50% dextrose diluted with an equal amount of water and given orally at a rate of 60 cc twice per day. Molasses and water or Karo syrup and water can also be used.

I would also give C D Antitoxin B complex and probiotcs
Take her temp to se if her body temp is low...( 101.5-103.5 is normal range)

·
Registered
31,033 Posts
Yes..def have a fecal done

·
AddisonandSpike
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately I don't have a vet around here that works with goats. I gave her molasses and tums. Her temp is 103.2

·
Registered
31,033 Posts
Temp is good...even a dog vet can do fecal...but if you feel this can be an issue it wont hurt to treat for cocci..or worms....

Tums is not enough if she NEEDS calcium...she will need the drench..TSC carries this brand
http://www.jefferspet.com/goats-prefer-calcium-drench/camid/liv/cp/VP-G3/

Keep up the 50/50 molasses and water as the rate of 60 cc twice a day..

·
Registered
31,033 Posts
keep hay or alfalfa or fresh green leaves in front of her ..no feed...

·
AddisonandSpike
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can see long thin worms. Is ivermectin better and can I give it with safeguar

·
Super Moderator
59,234 Posts
What did you dose the Safeguard at? It should be dosed at 1cc per 10 lbs for the liquid and 3 times the horse dose for paste. Also need to do it for 3 days in a row. Then retreat for 3 days again in 2 weeks.

Did you give the other things for ketosis and calcium?

·
Registered
31,033 Posts
You see worms? Its better to let one wormer do it job then to over worm her..sounds like the safe guard is ridding her of tape worms..which is good....

what did you drench her with? calcium??

How are her inner eye color compared in this chart
http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.UfBXEmSDTL8

Temp is a bit high..Is it pretty hot there? 103.5 is the high normal for goats, I would recheck it tonight when things cool off..

Make some Home made electros and offer her some..keeping her hydrated is important (recipe to follow)

How is she acting? up and about? eating drinking, nursing her baby?is her udder full, hot?

·
Registered
31,033 Posts
Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
AddisonandSpike
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes I drenched with calcium drench from tractor supply and molasses and water. It's only 80 degrees here so I think she has a temp. I gave her dura pen.

·
AddisonandSpike
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Baby is nursing she is not eating or drinking. Udder is not hot. I saw the worm it is not tape worm.

·
Registered
31,033 Posts
might be a pin worm?? those are the only two you would see...here is a link on goats tape worms..http://goat-link.com/content/view/72/109/1/1/#.UfBkC2SDTL8
I cant find one right off for pin worm..but they are thiner..with a pointy head I believe...
if mom will not eat she needs C D Antitoxin to protect her from toxcity from her rumen function being down...keep up the B complex ..Good call on the antibiotics..

·
AddisonandSpike
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's not tape worm. I think pin worms. I have done everything I can for now I think. Praying she makes it

·
Registered
31,033 Posts
safe guard will take care of the pinworm as well..Milk of magnesia will help bind any toxins in her gut if you dont have C D Antitoxin...best wishes for full recovery.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts