The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 5 does that have birth in the last 10 days. Today, 2 of them started head butting each other...constantly. The smaller one has some mild bleeding on her head. I separated the bigger one that I think is “causing” it, though they were both not backing down from the other. Thoughts on why? Just reintroduce after a cooling off? They’ve never fought before. Lived together for a year. The herd has been back together for almost a week now, after everyone’s birthing (the birthing areas were all in the same big space, though, so no one ever “disappeared”. The only thing different today is I took three babies to get disbudded. The bigger one’s son is one that I took, but not the smaller one’s kids.

Now that I’ve moved them, I think the bigger one was also hoarding the hay feeder as EVERYONE is now crowding around the hay feeder like they’ve not eaten today. The bigger one has definitely been the most protective of her babies.
Thoughts on management? Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
They have to get their pecking order established.

Unless they are hurting each other separate. If not, they have to work it out.
If you separate them and try to put them back together, it will start all over again.
Just make sure the kids are not in the way while they are bashing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They have to get their pecking order established.

Unless they are hurting each other separate. If not, they have to work it out.
If you separate them and try to put them back together, it will start all over again.
Just make sure the kids are not in the way while they are bashing.
After a brief cooling off time apart (and the one had some time with her disbudded baby), everyone appears back to normal. Occasional head butting, but nothing consistent. Whew!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Good to hear they have their pecking order established.

When you feed though, make sure you have several spots. That is when the dominant ones hit. ;)
Definitely! Instead of one big "trough" I use the little TSC mineral feeders (the 2-pocket ones). I have those scattered all around their area, so there are never more than 2 side-by-side. There are more slots than goats, too, so even the low-rank ones can eat. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts