The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am so happy I have found this place! My husband and I got our first 2 goats on Jan 3, 2021.
One of the goats (Muma Bear) we were told she was 7 months and possibly pregnant. So about 9 months now. She’s not very big looking.She absolutely will not come near us or let us touch her. I try and try and the closest I’ve to petting her is when I have dried corn she will eat from my hand and just barely lets me pet her head. I try to touch anywhere else she runs. I have read a lot on here and it’s been very informative. My question about her is she hasn’t gotten any bigger but you can see her udder. It would be her first pregnancy. Is it possible to have udder showing and not be pregnant?
My other goat (Oreo) we were told she was 3-4 months she hasn’t grown much but she is as sweet as pie and let’s me pet her. So I guess that puts her at 5-6 months now. I question the accuracy of the age on both but again I’m very new to them. Oreo still has her horns the other doesn’t. Do we have to have them removed?
So my recent discovery is they have lice. I purchased a DE product from Amazon for farm and animals. I haven’t seen it really working. I did some more research and read about Neem oil and that is really awesome and kills lice and mites. Has anyone heard of this? I’m trying to figure what one I get as there are so many. If anyone knows please help!
And lastly, my husband started buying corn for the goats and chickens. Now the corn is all the goats want Oreo will literally use her foot and pull out her grain to try to get all the corn. Should I stop feeding them the corn?
Thank so much for any advice

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,676 Posts
:hi:Welcome to the forum! What breeds are your girls?

It would be unlikely for Muma Bear to be building an udder without being pregnant. You could get a blood test or an ultrasound if you'd like to be sure.

There is no reason to remove a goats horns, once they have them unless they were posing a danger to you or the other goat. They would need to be removed surgically by a vet and a lot of goats don't do well with anesthesia, so there would be risk involved. It's really not something that would be done unless in extreme circumstances.

I don't have any experience with lice in my goats, but I know that ivermectin blue pour on works well.

As far as the corn goes, they really shouldn't have much corn at all. It's really not good for them. It would be a treat and that's it. It can do more harm than good. Are they getting free choice hay? If your one girl is pregnant she need some sort of source of calcium like alfalfa hay or pellets.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:hi:Welcome to the forum! What breeds are your girls?

It would be unlikely for Muma Bear to be building an udder without being pregnant. You could get a blood test or an ultrasound if you'd like to be sure.

There is no reason to remove a goats horns, once they have them unless they were posing a danger to you our the other goat. They would need to be removed surgically by a vet and a lot of goats don't do well with anesthesia, so there would be risk involved. It's really not something that would be done unless in extreme circumstances.

I don't have any experience with lice in my goats, but I know that ivermectin blue pour on works well.

As far as the corn goes, they really shouldn't have much corn at all. It's really not good for them. It would be a treat and that's it. It can do more harm than good. Are they getting free choice hay? If your one girl is pregnant she need some sort of source of calcium like alfalfa hay or pellets.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Hi and thank you!
We give the goats alfalfa and Timothy hay.
I'm relieved about the horns because I didn't want to take away something that is part of them so thank you.
Does tractor supply carry that ivermectin or do I order that online?
Thank you again oh and they are Nigerian Dwarf goats.
Yes I believe that is where I got mine. They keep it locked up so you might have to ask an associate to get it for you. My TSC also carries the generic brand as well. Also, if Muma Bear is building an udder she is more than likely pregnant. They start building an udder about a month before kidding. It's been my experience that sometimes a real young doe will only have a single kid which may account for why she isn't showing much. Keep an eye out for discharge from her lady parts. That's a sign you're getting closer too. Good luck. Goats are a lot of fun. And welcome to The Goat Spot. You will find lots of great folks here ready and willing to help. I've only been a member here a couple of months and have learned so much.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I believe that is where I got mine. They keep it locked up so you might have to ask an associate to get it for you. My TSC also carries the generic brand as well. Also, if Muma Bear is building an udder she is more than likely pregnant. They start building an udder about a month before kidding. It's been my experience that sometimes a real young doe will only have a single kid which may account for why she isn't showing much. Keep an eye out for discharge from her lady parts. That's a sign you're getting closer too. Good luck. Goats are a lot of fun. And welcome to The Goat Spot. You will find lots of great folks here ready and willing to help. I've only been a member here a couple of months and have learned so much.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi! Welcome! I have lots of trouble with lice too. I use Python Dust. Just sprinkle it on their backs and legs. Works good.
Don't feed goats corn. It's not really good for them because they can't digest it very well.
Glad your here! When Muma Bear kids make sure to post pictures!
Hi! Thank you I can't wait for that to happen, it will be our first.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi. Just wanted to add my two cents on neem oil....neem is considered not safe for oral use in pregnancy( the extract has been used in the past for abortion). I know you were going to use it topically...but I wouldn't as goats do lick and groom themselves( and each other sometimes) and the oil is pretty concentrated. But for non pregnant goats...neem oil is probably safe as a topical:)
Hope you have a great time with your goats!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi. Just wanted to add my two cents on neem oil....neem is considered not safe for oral use in pregnancy( the extract has been used in the past for abortion). I know you were going to use it topically...but I wouldn't as goats do lick and groom themselves( and each other sometimes) and the oil is pretty concentrated. But for non pregnant goats...neem oil is probably safe as a topical:)
Hope you have a great time with your goats!
Hi, thank you so much! I opted to go with DE. Natural and safe from what I researched. It's a product I'm somewhat familiar with and have used.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts