The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My husband and I just got 2 sweet girls. We are lost and confused about theyre food. yes they eat grass and trees.. UNDERSTOOD! We got 100# of sweet feed, they love it of course. We have a nice pen and a separate housing at night. We had them out but heard some coyotes and penned them, with a lid!
Any way ... WHAT can they NOT eat!?? Red maple I know and they ate alot of it, tore it up! I cant get near poison Ivy , and kudzu we have ... we also have many dif kind of trees . What is bad for them? I been on info overload on the internet and have got confused. Please help.....
They didnt seem to have much appetite today and I am a bit concerned after they red maple they ate the last 2 days.
Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated

:ponder: I believe they are Alpine mix.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
The internet is pretty overloaded with information and a lot of opinion.
Breathe.

When did you get them? When I recently brought 2 home, the change in foods and homes are stressful and put them off of food and also helped the worms grab hold. Once I wormed them and they settled in, they became little piggies.

Others on here are fabulous help. This group is great.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got them Saturday ... They ate like crazy til today. I know I have read red maple is a no no.. and they pigged on that BIG time.. now today not too hungry but they nibbling just not pigging. So I was a wee bit concerned.. when we bring them in for night in their condo(lol) I will take banana and carrot for them..
I am not at all experienced and we are afraid of making mistakes.

·
14,615 Posts
Welcome Lyonpurrs, yes breath;)
We were all there once, learning a whole lot in a short time. Rhododrendrens Azalea & Bracken fern off the top of my head are deadly.
For any type of toxic plant it's good to have activated charcoal & pepto bismol on hand.
What kind are they?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"What kind are they?"

Im not 100% sure what they are... I wanna say Nigerian ... but not dwarfs , IDK... we just went looking, saw them and got them. After we built enclosures... We didnt realize it would be so technical ... They are sweet babies and I need to do right by them.. I am looking for a young buck now too

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OH and where do I get the charcoal? Tractor supply?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes we have a bale of hay , and the sweet feed mix... they have plenty of grass and water...

please explain about hay other than bedding and eating... what is the value in it.

·
I'm watching you
22,153 Posts
Hay is the basic block that the diet is built on. It should be constantly there for them. Some days they will eat less then others depending on the type of browse eaten. Goats need long fibers in their diet to digest properly. Hay always fulfills that need where as not all browse plants do.
You might try offering them a small dish of baking soda. If their stomach is upset from the maple, they will lick at it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
they seem to have diarrhea now... they wanted theyre sweet feed , i gave my little one 30cc of kaopectate.. no pepto in ouse

·
Goat Lover
386 Posts
You can get activated charcoal at Walmart. It's in the fish section. As for the diarrhea you need to give them electrolytes. You can buy goat electrolytes at TSC out you can make one trip and Getty some gatorade at Walmart. Warm it up and they will drink as much as they need. Also, put the activated charcoal into a syringe with water and squirt it into their mouth... Only if they have ate something toxic.

·
14,615 Posts
Hold off on grain until the poop is normal & throw hay in front of them. They really should fill up on some hay before going to browse as it can cause the runs.;)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea .. they ate a bunch of red maple yesterday.... poor things. I will get some tomorrow going to wally world anyway.

·
I'm watching you
22,153 Posts
Red Maple is only poisonous when the leaves on a broken branch are wilting or during really quick growth in the spring or after a rain. The diet change is what is affecting them more then anything.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thank you guys! I will do this , pull their feed , give em hay, get some gatorade, and squirt some charcoal in their lil lips... I agree with the diet change ..Poor babies... I just wanna hold the lil one and make her feel loved... but they got each other tonight.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Charcoal was only useful if it was administered before the body had processed through the offending item. Like most effective if done within the first hour but not necessary after 8-10?

Also for electrolytes, you can make your own if you have these things on hand, it's really easy.
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

The hot water helps it blend fast but I like to cool it down so I don't use quite 2 quarts of hot water and then I make up the difference with cold water to cool it some for consumption.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses"

I dont have any but thanks for reminding me.... Making a list for walmart. Hubs is getting foot surgery today, walmart is across street and TSC is about 1/2 mile away. They seem to be better today .

OH and the charcoal will absorb thru the entire digestive tract, at least humans it does. When one OD's, They pump out drugs or poison and pump in charcoal ... and out the other side it comes. :stars:I just dont think of human remedy for animals.... Unless Ive dont it on dogs or cats I just dont know.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts