New NGD terrified, wont eat.

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Erin80, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Erin80

Erin80 Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Ontario
    We brought home 3 NDG’s last night, they are 9 weeks old. One wether was a bottle baby and is extremely friendly, loves people. The doeling is slowly coming around, and ate her grain this morning. Her brother however, a wether....is so so scared that he won’t eat or drink, just lays huddled in a corner. If we touch him, he tries to go further into the corner. I feel terrible for him. Is this normal? Anything we can do to help? I’m worried about him not eating or drinking.

MadHouse likes this.
  2. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    That's not normal and I'd be worried about him too. Since he's with his sister and a friend, he should be calm enough to eat with them. Does he only run to the corner when you come in, or does it look like he's staying in the corner all the time? If he's staying in the corner all the time then I suspect he may be sick and you'll need to take his temperature. It should be around 101-103. If he's sick you'll need to call a vet.

These kids are a bit young to be weaned already. If this kid was with his mom he is used to having a lot of milk in his diet. Sudden changes can be hard on a young goats' digestion.

3. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I hope he isn’t sick, but just needing time to adjust. I had the same situation, where brother and sister were dam raised and I got them at 10 weeks old. They were very terribly scared of people, but were ok with the other kid I got at the same time. Like @Damfino says, watch what he does when you are not as close by. Is he eating hay?

Moers kiko boars and Damfino like this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would have a vet look at him.

All kinds of issues can happen with young kids and they can die quickly without proper treatment and care.

5. Erin80

Erin80 Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Ontario
    Thanks!
    I think he’s scared of us! I looked outside and he’s out there with his sister and cousin checking everything out and testing out the hay. Will keep a close eye on him. As soon as I go out, he runs away.

6. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Do get a temperature on this little guy - stress can bring on pneumonia, etc. Very important to seek a vet if he is sub temp or running a fever.

7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I agree.. in the least, get his temperature.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  8. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Get a temp and while you do this, hold him for a little while. Give him scratches and talk softly to him. He needs to know you don't want to hurt him.

happybleats, Damfino and MadHouse like this.
  9. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I'm glad to hear he's behaving normally when you're not around. This points to fear of people rather than sickness. If you can't catch him to get a temp that's a great sign! There's a quote from James Herriot about the vet's "familiar sight of his patient disappearing over the horizon" and "if the vet can't catch his patient it's a good sign there's nothing too far wrong with the animal." Something along those lines. ;)

It's too bad these little goats weren't better socialized. I feel bad for them being sent to a new home when they're terrified of people. You'll have to spend some time sitting with them in a small area so they get used to you. My first goat came to me wild and I had to put a catch rope on him so I could get near him. I spent time holding him in my lap every day and he would tremble in terror, but I'd sing and pet him and talk to him for a good half hour or more at a time before letting him go. He warmed up to me very quickly and within a few days I was able to remove the catch rope. Soon he was following me all over the place and was friendly with everyone. It just takes time and patience. Good luck! And if you even suspect that this one goat is sick, call a vet or someone you know who is experienced with goats to come have a look.

10. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Oh good, I am glad he is not acting sick when you are at a distance!
    My two wild ones also warmed up over time. They had other goats, so they followed them around rather than me, but they both turned out sweet and tame. The shiest one even let a complete stranger kiss her the other day (she is 2 years old now).
    Just be patient, love them, and soon he too will love you back! Especially if treats are involved!

11. Erin80

Erin80 Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Ontario
    He’s come around!! He was outside with the other two eating dead leaves and hay and jumping around!

happybleats, MadHouse and Damfino like this.
  12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California