The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently added (last Saturday 2/16) an adult Nigerian doe from FL to our herd named "Jersey". She still is not eating much of the Dumor goat pellets that we feed our Nigis. :hair: Her breeder told me that she was a picky eater & that she was used to eating Purina goat pellets, however I can't find any near my area. She will pick a few pellets up & eat them. She also will eat any treat that we offer her, such as the goat treats we get from Jeffers, mollasses treats, & of course animal crackers. Is there another type of "healthy" food I can try to mix with the Dumor goat pellets to get her to eat more. Thanks for all your advice in advance.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
any sudden switch and now especially for a picky eater will be difficult for a goat. It is going to take time for her to get use to her new food.

Did the previous owner send you some of her feed home with you? that is always what i do with my goats. NOt every owner can provide the same feed I feed my goats so a slow switch over is always good for the health of the animal as well.

I have a picky eater too. she looks eagerly at the bowls of grain but then won't eat. This is a sudden change and I dont' know why. I know I just opened a new bag of feed so maybe she dislikes the new bag. :shrug:

As long as she is eating hay good then her health isn't in any danger.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Her breeder didn't send any of her regular food with her. No, I haven't tried mixing mollasses or anything else in with the food yet, I will try that. She has plenty of grass, weeds, & little trees to munch on. She runs over to the food bowl when the others do & looks at the food, picks up a few pellets & then will walk off. "Jersey" is drinking good & seems to be in good health other than being a picky eater. I haven't had a goat yet that has been a picky eater so this is all new to me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts