New Nigerian doe not eating much...

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by SouthernSky, Feb 23, 2008.

1. SouthernSky

SouthernSky New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Orangeburg,SC
    I recently added (last Saturday 2/16) an adult Nigerian doe from FL to our herd named "Jersey". She still is not eating much of the Dumor goat pellets that we feed our Nigis. :hair: Her breeder told me that she was a picky eater & that she was used to eating Purina goat pellets, however I can't find any near my area. She will pick a few pellets up & eat them. She also will eat any treat that we offer her, such as the goat treats we get from Jeffers, mollasses treats, & of course animal crackers. Is there another type of "healthy" food I can try to mix with the Dumor goat pellets to get her to eat more. Thanks for all your advice in advance.

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Have you tried mixing molasses or corn oil with the pellets to see if she eats them?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    any sudden switch and now especially for a picky eater will be difficult for a goat. It is going to take time for her to get use to her new food.

Did the previous owner send you some of her feed home with you? that is always what i do with my goats. NOt every owner can provide the same feed I feed my goats so a slow switch over is always good for the health of the animal as well.

I have a picky eater too. she looks eagerly at the bowls of grain but then won't eat. This is a sudden change and I dont' know why. I know I just opened a new bag of feed so maybe she dislikes the new bag. :shrug:

As long as she is eating hay good then her health isn't in any danger.

4. SouthernSky

SouthernSky New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Orangeburg,SC
    Her breeder didn't send any of her regular food with her. No, I haven't tried mixing mollasses or anything else in with the food yet, I will try that. She has plenty of grass, weeds, & little trees to munch on. She runs over to the food bowl when the others do & looks at the food, picks up a few pellets & then will walk off. "Jersey" is drinking good & seems to be in good health other than being a picky eater. I haven't had a goat yet that has been a picky eater so this is all new to me.