New on The Goat Spot :)

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Josey521, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Josey521

Josey521 New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Reno, NV
    Hi there,

I thought I'd introduce myself...my name is Kat. I live in the Reno, NV area. A friend sent me the link to this forum and I was most excited to see it! I have a small herd of Nigerians that I use for milking and ultimately I'd love to show, though there aren't too many shows in the area (except for California!). It's a beginner herd and I'm aiming for dairy character, milking ability and conformation of course! My current herd isn't perfect or wonderful, but I'm trying to improve and I have to start somewhere! I'm new to it, but am addicted. Anyway, I'm hoping to add a new buck or two next year and possibly a new doe!

Thanks for listening!

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Kat..... :wave: Welcome, welcome......this is a great place with the most helpful people. I would have been totally loss without this site when I first brought my goaties home, I knew nothing about them except they were cute and I loved them! I have learned so much from being here.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Welcome Kat - I know you from the "list group"

Nice to see you!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome -- so glad you joined us :D

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Welcome to TGS, the FRIENDLY goat site. Looking forward to your posts and pictures.

6. Josey521

Josey521 New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Reno, NV
    Thank you for the welcomes everyone! I look forward to engaging on this forum...it seems fun as well as informative!

7. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    Welcome! Looks like you have a great start to your herd already!

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome Kat, glad you joined us.

I too have nigies as well as nigie/pygmy crosses that I milk.

9. KGW Farms

KGW Farms New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Scales mound, IL
    Welcome Kat! I am new too!

10. KGW Farms

KGW Farms New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Scales mound, IL
    Liz- what do you think of your Nigi/pygmy crosses? I just bought a Nigi buck and plan to breed him to some of my pygmies.

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Some of my girls have very pygmy kids while bred with a pygmy buck...and some have very nigi kids when bred to a nigi buck...it really can be a surprise as those kids start to mature, Teddy is the result of a PB nigi buck (Chief) and my nigi/pygmy doe Bootsie. The does I have had and milked...Bootsie, and 2 girls I lost, Dolly and Tilly have had very easily milked udders...and produced a good amount as well. Teddy is the only "kid" that I have kept as a buck...because the dams udders aren't the best and because they are mixes, the bucklings are wethered as pets.

Bootsie is my "mismatched" doe...her sire was a pygmy and her dam a pygmy/ nigi...Boots looks "odd" with her long neck and body combined with short stubby pygmy legs and round belly...she is not fat by any means and the belly was there before her first kidding in 2002...her last was in 2008.

BTW...Welcome KGW

12. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Welcome! I must say -- you have an impressive herd of Nigis!

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome...Kat... from northern California.. :wave: ...so nice to meet you...you will love it here.... :greengrin: :thumbup:

14. Josey521

Josey521 New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Reno, NV
    Rowdykids and Poppy Patch...thank you for the nice comments! This year was my first kidding season and I'm happy, though of course there quite a few things I'd like to see improved in my herd, but it's just a start (I have to remind myself of that all the time!).

And I'm from Northern California :). I used to live in Sonoma County!

15. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Hi Kat!! SO glad you joined! I'm glad we can learn together on here.

-In case ya'll didn't figure it out, Josey is Kat at Hoofin It, the gal I bought Athena from (and got two withers for my buck to practice on...lol :roll: ) And yes, she has some really pretty goats! Some...not so much...hehe! (cough...Gigi...cough....joseph...) But they are still nice looking goats!

16. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    the owner of the beautiful Bo !?!? exciting!

17. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Oh yeah! I want to breed Penny and Lullabelle to Bojangles next fall. Can't wait!!

18. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    the beautiful Bo.. haha

19. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    My Dairy Club has a show here in Redding CA in April or May. There will be a ND class. If you make it over to show we could met up. My DD is starting her own herd at 9yrs old. :).

20. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome aboard. :wave: Glad you joined us.