The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New goat owner here. I have a doe who was bred in November and again in December. I assumed it didn’t take as she has very consistently showed signs since then every 3 weeks of being in heat. This month, she has started to gain a little weight and form a very small udder. I noticed my wethers (less than a year) have also tried to start feeding from her udder, which I found strange, but let her handle it since she pushes them away. My question is, could she be pregnant and still show signs of heat each month? Is that common? Or maybe she’s just eating a lot! I’m very confused and just want to be prepared as a newbie.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
New goat owner here. I have a doe who was bred in November and again in December. I assumed it didn't take as she has very consistently showed signs since then every 3 weeks of being in heat. This month, she has started to gain a little weight and form a very small udder. I noticed my wethers (less than a year) have also tried to start feeding from her udder, which I found strange, but let her handle it since she pushes them away. My question is, could she be pregnant and still show signs of heat each month? Is that common? Or maybe she's just eating a lot! I'm very confused and just want to be prepared as a newbie.

Attachments

·
Registered
897 Posts
Her right side does seem swollen which could indicate pregnancy. About a month away from kidding they will start forming an udder. As far as a monthly heat cycle, it’s rare, but not unheard of. How old is she and is this her first kidding? Also are the wethers her kids?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She is 4. The breeder told us she has kidded once before. I think it was just a single kid born. The wethers we have are not her kids. Their mom lives on our farm too though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She looks bred to me. Babies on the right, rumen on the left from behind the goat. Make sure she's getting alfalfa and her selenium/vitamin e.
Good luck and happy kidding :)
Thank you for the advice! I recently bought some selenium/vitamin e gel as I do live in an area with soil deficiencies. If I'm also feeding my goats daily free choice minerals do I need to worry about them getting too much selenium? Or can I give her one dose of the gel plus the free minerals? I read online too much can be a bad thing too.

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Once a month is fine, it’s a supplement. Make sure you give it about 14 days before the 145 days she was last possibly exposed to a buck, so in your case, I’d do it on the first of April since thats kind of in the middle. If she hasn’t had some before you can give her a 2cc dose now then again on the first, that’ll catch her up without over doing it.

The minerals are free choice so they determine what they need when so I wouldn’t worry. You can put out a cobalt blue block too if you want.

·
Super Moderator
32,305 Posts
Looks like she could use come copper. I see what maybe a baby bump as well on right side. But keep in mind messed up hormones can also have her produce an udder. Blood test is best way to know if she's bred.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like she could use come copper. I see what maybe a baby bump as well on right side. But keep in mind messed up hormones can also have her produce an udder. Blood test is best way to know if she's bred.
Okay thank you for the advice. I did notice her coat is thinner and coarser then my other goats. She was given a copper bolus in jan when I bought her and the previous owner gave me a second dose for 6 months later. Do you give your goats copper more often than that? I'm still new to all this.

·
Super Moderator
32,305 Posts
Frequency of copper depends on your situation. I bolus ever 3 months or so due to high Sulphur in out well water..its an uphill battle. Some do 2 times a year. Factors to look at are what your water source is and if it's balance. High iron, Sulphur and calcium are three copper antagonist. Some goats tend to need more than others as well..just got to see what your needs are. From the picture I see fish tail and course coat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Frequency of copper depends on your situation. I bolus ever 3 months or so due to high Sulphur in out well water..its an uphill battle. Some do 2 times a year. Factors to look at are what your water source is and if it's balance. High iron, Sulphur and calcium are three copper antagonist. Some goats tend to need more than others as well..just got to see what your needs are. From the picture I see fish tail and course coat.
Thank you that's great advice! I didn't even think to check my water and how that would relate to copper. We are definitely on a well so that might be an issue. In looking at her tail I can see what you're saying. I don't know why, but I've also noticed she doesn't seem to like to eat the free choice minerals I put out as much as my other goats, so she might need a little extra supplementation to keep her healthy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts