New Pens

Discussion in 'Photogenic' started by lesserweevil, Oct 8, 2007.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    here is a picture of the new pens we built on Saturday - up, it took 3 of us just one day :D

[​IMG]

I'll post another pic of the goats in them, soon :D

2. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    the wired-up one is for my little Houdini, whose jumping record is now 4'8" - if she jumps out of THIS one - which is over 6ft - she deserves to be out :roll:

3. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Those look great!!!! I wish mine looked that good.

4. samall

samall New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Iowa
    Wow! Those look great!

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Jealousy is seeping out...........

6. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Very nice, now where did you take the picture from? The roof or ladder? We have a Houdini too she doesn't jump she goes though, under and opens gates. Thank god she attached to our lazies doe so she never goes far. She gets out then screams because she can't get to her buddy. :roll: Don't know why she can get out but not back in. Shelly

7. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    taking it from the loft in the barn - the roof is a good twice the height of the uprights on the pens - if not more :D - tons of wasted space! I can climb on top of round bales in the loft and still not hit the roof.

8. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Wow that is tall and you are much braver then me. I don't like heights. Shelly

9. cute kids

cute kids New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    those are impressive!! and built so fast!!! glad i'm half irish....maybe something will rub off onto me............
    the above the pen stabilization is a great idea...could be just the trick i need to keep my temporary pen where it is without a post. very nice. i hope your little houdini is happy. is she trying to get to other goats, or does she just like to jump???

10. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    nah she just likes to escape.

by the way, I fell off the loft once. At that point there were tons of metal gates set up underneath.

I threw down a bale of hay and simply toppled after it. I have NO idea how I fell - I just found myself sailing through the air. My whole life flashed before my eyes, kind of thing. I landed half on a gate half off it - managed to stop myself with my hands - and twisted my ankle under the gate. But I got off VERY lightly!!!

I do not like heights, I get vertigo simply standing on a wall - my dad took that photo. I refuse to go near the edge of the loft any more ! I just can't cope with it.

11. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Neat! I wish my barn was like that.:)

12. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    wow thats awaome looking

13. cute kids

cute kids New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    i have almost done that with the hay---there is a lot of momentum when one tosses a bale, and it is easy to follow. so glad you weren't hurt badly. i guess my closest call came when the hay hook was hookedin the bale and i was holding it and almost went with both. my son says i am to keep my cell on me at all times while working my little farm. hmmmmmmm, hate to have one's offspring be right........ :-0

14. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    That does look so organized and orderly. Nice job- they will really enjoy it this winter.
    ow to the mangers work? I can't tell whether the goats eat from the top as
    I can't really gage the size of the stalls. The slats look too close together to be eaten through.
    And be careful. Who will hug on the goats if you hurt yourself.

15. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    to give you a good idea of the size of the pens etc, there's a good inch and a half between slats :D each slat is 2 inches wide. in the picture it looks as though the gap is smaller, but that's just the angle of the shot. The length of 2 pens is a full 15 feet - each pen is 7.5 ft by 7.5 ft.

And re the cellphone thing - I DIDNT have my cellphone on me, so I had to hobble all the way back to the house with a twisted ankle :roll:

16. nina.doria

nina.doria New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Wow. they look great!! Nicely done.

17. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    VERY nice looking pens!!!

18. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Those are nice sized pens. I have a doe stall that is a 10 x 12 and I put a kidding stall in there also so it became smaller but they have access to that part too. Then beside that stall I have a stall that is probably 2 1/2 x 10 for my cousins show wethers her wether is small but that stall will house 5 full grown goats easily.

19. cute kids

cute kids New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    what IS considered a 'good sized stall'?? i have the option of putting my goats in a 5' X 14' stall rather than a 7' X 14' stall......the current seeming to be a great size for them. wondering if the loss of room is a critical amount. they have free access all day to a 40' X80'+ paddock, and a 1 1/2 acre pasture. at night, right now, i still let them have access to the paddock at night. (this all with their guardian donkeys). if/when i hear coyotes, i will confine them then to the stall. the fence (new installed--finally--i am so excited!!!!!!!!) is 4' sheep wire everywhere. there is room to put an electric wire if i get worried about predators jumping it.

so, can i use the smaller stall at night?? or should i keep them in the somewhat larger, which is working great? i have six mini goats. advantage to switching is that i could have donks and goats in one area, with donks having the outside edge of the stall. (predator wise)