The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first ever pig yesterday! He is a Juliana/mini potbelly cross and was just weaned a couple of weeks ago. I named him Bentley. He is a pet, not food and I want him to be friendly and social.
As with most pigs, he hates being picked up and will scream bloody murder since he is a pet, should I invest in some ear plus and try and get him used to being picked up and held? How should I go about it?

· Premium Member
15,206 Posts
I wouldn't try holing him until he's settled in more. Food and treats is how you will win him over. Sitting with him quietly and offering treats is the best way to start. The more you do this, the more relaxed he will become around you and slowly he will start to let you pet him. Once you can find his favorite place to be scratched...behind the ears...on the belly, etc. he'll really start to enjoy your company. When he feels safe around you, you should be able to hold him without it sounding like you're killing him, but pigs don't like being restrained and picked up so it will take a lot of time and patience.

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's been letting me scratch him and even rolled over for belly scratches. I've only picked him up once, and I had to in order to put him in his crate.
He's been eating from my hands and making little grunting sounds.

707 Posts
I have a PB pig and got him at six days old and bottle fed him... He HATED being picked up, but would follow us everywhere! I was seriously starting to think he was NEVER going to let us tough him. And then I had a class of kindergarten kids come out to see what a farm is like when he was about seven months old and realized none of the kids wanted to play with the goats because the little pig was sitting with them posing for pictures lol... Ever since that day he gives kisses, still follows us everywhere, and will move mountains to have his belly scratched!! He still HATES even the thought of being restrained, but honestly he is my favorite pet(next to my goats of course) with a gentle and very entertaining personality!! Good luck!

· Registered
119 Posts
...put yourself in your pet pigs place...

Remember that pig's grounding is when his feet are touching the ground! If I were in your shoes, I would sit on the ground/floor and "invite" that pig to "climb" into my lap using all four feet. Once it learns his feet can be touching your body somewhere, that is a nice starting place for moving it around....slowly.....with one foot OFF everything, then another; then 2 feet OFF. ROFL Not even sure this would work; but that is the way I'd go about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.