new possible buckling. need advice.

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by farmergal, Mar 24, 2010.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    IMO if your going to spend that much on a buck then find the best of the best. It might even be better to get a buck from somewhere where ND's are really popular, so show wins really count. Like the New England Area. This area is FULL of ND's and so show wins count a little more... sometimes.

But really, you want to look at pictures, pictures and more pictures. Look at pictures of the dam, and sire, and their parents. Some goats just aren't MCH's because the breeders don't show.

2. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    This is really helpful, thanks so much for all the diff opinions. I am starting to think that maybe since these bucklings aren't cheap, and at the very least there is a pretty wide variety of opinions as to whether they're worth it or not, I should just save up a bit more $$ and have a couple shipped out from the Northeast next year. I had been thinking of doing that for a while but it always seemed so expensive... but it could be worth it if I have 2 shipped, and if I start looking at who I want now for next year, I could get in early on the 2011 reservations... any recs for good lines to bring over from your neck of the woods? :) Of course I've drooled over Rosasharn and OMF for months now... but maybe there are some smaller breeders (TGS folks?) who also have really high quality animals and just aren't as high in the google search engine as the bigger guys :)

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    with shipping you can get a great potential buck for 700.00 or less.

check out the viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11245 its The Goat Spot members favorite ND breeders :)

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    OMF has some very nice animals, just got some myself from her. She always has lots of pictures and info so you know what you are getting. Very nice person to work with.

Rosasharn also has some very nice animals, I have not worked with her personally.

PromisedLand (in NC) is nice too, but their prices have really shot up there! Thankfully I got some of their stock before the big price increase this year.

5. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Shipping in really isn't TOO costly- especially if you can manage to get two in a crate. Though thats getting harder and harder to do it seems.

And yes NE is very stiff competition!
    There are lots of great breeders in this area ;)
    I am sure you could find something that catches your eye!

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I share a OMF doe with Ashley -- she is beautiful (in pictures, havent seen her for myself yet)

havent heard much bad about OMF

7. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I really like Rosasharn animals - had a super buck from them once.
    I do not like Promised Land - the style of their animals lately is very interesting. They look totally like mini alpines or something. No a lot nigerian breed character. though i have never worked with them. just my opinion. :)
    OMf has some really nice animals too.
    Have you looked at some Tx breeders? would tx be closer to you then NE? Because Twin creeks and Lost Valley have some exceptional animals. I highly recommend Lost valley- awesome breeders to work with and super animals.
    Deana looks the nicest but 700 to me is too high. Just my opinion.

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Anne at Rosasharn is VERY nice to work with! Such a sweet lady! I've emailed back and forth with Cheryle at OMF and she is also very nice. . . couldn't get animals from her but she is a very kind person and seems good to work with. Most goat people are that way though! Thankfully. :D

Seems like some of the kids from Pholia Farm turn out really nice and some not nice, the consistency is lacking with some of the pairings. You want to purchase from really consistent lines -- not animals that do great one year and flop the next or one kid out of the litter is nice, the others not. Like Harriet is beautiful but her litter-mate sister had an okay udder (well, imo - it needed higher attachment).

You will see some duds though in every herd. . . it's gonna happen no matter how hard we try for the ideal. ;)

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    you have to realize too though, that she breeds mainly for production, being a working dairy. I wouldn't bat an eye at paying 700 for a buck out of deana, or another doe of equal caliber, quality over quantity. I like the promiseland style, the length and eye appeal of them is GORGEOUS! Nigerians should look like miniature alpines,

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well you can't beat the production that promisedland goats will give. Having the top producing doe on milk test is pretty darn good. ;)

Plus Nigerians are still an evolving breed.

11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    I like the super alpine looking does, but most still have pygmy qualities about them, chunky heads, lack or angulation, excess fleshing

12. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Another thing that I think is getting left out is the fact that you can't "FEEL" the udder, the texture, the way it is once it's milked out...THIS is where Deana absolutely shines!! She is an older style doe, not the sharp, angular more new-age looking doe (not that I'm knocking that at all!! I like it)...but I have shown with her multiple times and she's always at the top, ..because the judges just rave about her udder texture. I do agree that the picture is definitely not her best, she is really just not a photogenic goatie unfortunately... but I can actually say that about a few of their doe's pics. I have shown a number of their doe's with them, and I know what their udders "really" look like...and it's usually better than the picture shows. You have to understand the family behind the herd....Gianaclis is a WONDERFUL lady who strives very hard to help others, works incredibly hard to keep an entire dairy running...not to mention the Nigerian herd (they had something like 94 kids last year!!)... She is way beyond a busy lady!! And is just a truly caring person when it comes to helping others. Usually at the shows she has taken newcomers or other goat owners with questions under her wing to show them absolutely everything about DHI records, or judging a goat, or feeding or ??? You name it, she knows it through and through! If I ever know 1/16th of what she has learned about goats, I will consider myself brilliant! LOL!
    Oh and Bullseye is who Deana was bred to this year...and he is an awesome udder buck... puts very nice capacity udders and wonderful teats on his babies. I should know....my Bullseye kids just hit the ground about a month ago and they are gorgeous blue eyed babies - the doe of which will definitely be showing against her "cousins" this spring and for years to come I'm sure! Aquarius was another buck they had but he did not do well for teats, which is why Bullseye is perfect for their herd...he's helping to pull those teats back in and lengthen them too. Bullseye also scored Excellent 90 or 91 on his LA this year, just as Deana did. I think that is where the pricing comes from...proven sire and dam with TOP linear appr. scores. Although I'm not saying that top animals always throw top babies either. Research every offspring pic you can find on the internet...that's what I do.

I also have a doe with a beautiful first freshening udder out of Promisedland Playboy at Poppy Patch Farm, Washington, who is VERY fertile and bred a bunch of their doe's when he was just a "pup" ... He is now for sale for a great price, and I'd snatch him up if I could... my little doe from him is so LONG, absolutely perfect straight legs & tight toes, and looks just like her daddy. My only issue is I wish she had tighter shoulder/withers...but I don't know if this is from her momma or her sire. She has incredible medial and perfect teat placement and they are over an inch long hanging straight down (which is NICE for a first freshening Nigerian Dwarf!!). **OH - she also cleaned house and won Champion Jr. Doe and Reserve Champion Overall at just 8 months old!! So I personally am very impressed with his offspring (atleast my own). I'd like to see more udder capacity...but jeez she's a first freshener raising gorgeous healthy fat triplet girls without any help from us!! I can't ask for more than that now!! :cool:
    Ok, sorry to chat your ear off... just throwing out my opinion. Very sorry to have taken up so much space.
    You could also look up Camanna 's here in Oregon... she's got some gorgeous doe's starting to kid now, and they do awesome in the show ring!! Just awesome!! In "Oregon Nigerian land", top competition is Pholia Farm and Camanna...wow that's a nail biter class right there! Camanna's goats have lots of flash...don't know how else to describe it. They are just flashy animals.
    Gosh I've gotta craving to show....argg....hurry up summer time!!

13. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    thanks so much Bellafire for the long and thoughtful post. decisions decisions, they are so hard! It is really helpful to hear the perspective of someone who has shown against Pholia does, because sometimes pictures don't do a great animal justice.... and until you actually get your hands on an animal, you can't tell about things like texture, rib spacing, etc.

Oy, Playboy sounds like a heck of a buck too. For now, I think I will twiddle my thumbs and keep researching, researching, researching until next year... and keep trying to save up $$, which is always the biggest problem!!

14. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I don't raise dairy goats... but I definitely agree with this comment! I also think when the price tag is that high... you need to see video or in person... pictures make it too easy to hide flaws.

I bought a silky buckling from still pictures. I paid $800 for him PlUS transport.... worst decision I've made. I sold him for $375.... definitely lost money and time.... I could have purchased an AMAZING buck for that price... but I didn't shop around. :( :doh: Don't get wowed by bloodlines!!!! You have to look at the animal in question.... every bloodline has its great goats and its "pet" goats.

I won't put in my 2 cents about the does you are looking at..... I don't know dairy goats enough to be an influence.... LOL

Love these posts though... I'm learning a lot by comparing the pictures and then coming back to the forum and comparing all of your reviews.... vs my opinion!

15. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Jess that is also really good advice. I DO definitely tend to get "wowed" by bloodlines or show records.... when sometimes a really amazing animal just simply hasn't been shown... or those bloodlines end up with a pet-quality animal!

Also yes... it has been SO helpful reading these reviews and then looking at the website again... gives me a totally new perspective.

16. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I also think when the price tag is that high... you need to see video or in person... pictures make it too easy to hide flaws.

I am a total newbie but agree with the above (I don't believe it quoted correctly-whoops) but $700 seems steep to me! I just got a new buck for a fraction of that price with awesome bloodlines. You have a right to more pictures/video, info! Good luck and keep us posted of your decision! :clap:

17. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    those lines are nothing to shoot down.. they're really nice. and shes a really nice doe.. I know i wouldnt sneeze at 700 for one

18. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Just re deana, she is the doe on the far right in this pic

[​IMG]

Nothing wrong with the udder there ...

I really really like that doe. Yes, I think she is overconditioned and thats why she doesnt look so refined.

I like puzzle, pity she went over height, and I like riddle too, but honestly I do think Deana is the best doe on that list.

I'd love to chase up the dark doe on the left, I like her ...

I also really like this doe, listed on their reference does page (FF)

[​IMG]

Great website, gosh this buck is pretty

[​IMG]

19. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Oh, also, the Poppy Goats look brilliant too!