The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
way is nothing ever the same-

new problem with the baby (Crystal Jo)- when we found her on Tuesday she took that first bottle like she was a pro and on Wednesday no problems yesterday she started not finishing them so we spaced them out a little further thinking she was maybe finally getting full, well she drank part of a bottle (maybe 2 oz) at 10 last night and when I tried at 6:30 this morning she does not want anything to do with it

She is dairy cross- on Tuesday she weighted 7 lbs 4 oz ( a friend has a baby scale) so the chart we had said give her 4 oz every 4 hrs, but because she seemed so hungry we were doing it every three... now she wants nothing- but she seems fine other wise, poop is yellow and solid, peeing, walking around (sleeping right now) I am also feeding her her own mothers milk which is still the colostrum..

HLEP what do I give her to perk her up and get her to eat..

thank you again in advance!

Donna

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
again this little girl surprises me- she still would not drink the bottle but will drink water out of a dish so i told the daughter to try putting it in a bowl and guess what she drank it right now like that is the way it is done...

go figure- take away our fun- BUT very glad she is eating...

Donna

·
14,726 Posts
Could there be something wrong with the nipples your using that she doesn't like? I've never bottle fed a goat kid before so I don't know, but obviously she is liking the bowl, so that is a relief I am sure! And MUCH EASIER!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we started with a perchered (SP) at my friends house, and then we got her home used reg people baby bottles and nipples, because I prefer using bottles they are easier to keep clean, but today the daughter tried the perchered and she drank most of it, but not all and she had to force her to drink most of it.. so I am thinking if the bowl is better maybe that is what will do..

Question though they always tell you too hold their head up when they eat will drinking all their milk from a bowl hurt them any?

The same guy we got her from has one more doe due this weekend and her babies usually die because she does not take care of them, so my next question is I do not want to milk a wild goat, if you take the baby and do not milk her how long will it take her to dry up and what other way could you dry her up, we used dry cow last year on our doe... after we found CL abscess on her. Any ideas I want to save the baby but do not need a wild goat in with my goats...

Donna

1 - 5 of 5 Posts