New Project! :)

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by jay13, Mar 12, 2010.

1. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Ok, anyone that knows me knows that I always have some project or another going on. My last project was the installation of our wood stove including tile, stove pipe and chimney! And, let me tell you, installing 15 feet of chimney on a 10/12 pitch roof is nothing to sneeze at! Pics on my facebook page if anyone is interested...lol

SOooooo my new project is we are converting our swimming pool into a fish farm! We have a 3 ft above ground pool that we set up and swam in a grand total of 3 times last summer, and with a 2 year old and a 6 month old it looks like this summer will be more of the same. That is, paying a lot of money and putting a lot of energy into maintaining a pool we won't be using... So we went to the local hatchery and got some hybrid striped bass, set up the pool filter with a carbon filter instead and are having some fishy fun experiments.

Has anyone here tried to grow fish for eating before? Or tried to do anything with a pool besides swimming? Ideas suggestions? I am all new to this, having a blast, and so is my son who loves to feed the fish every chance we give him.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW you are quite the busty person.

I have no advice at all, just well wishes.

Let us know how it goes.

3. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Why yes, I am... but shhhhh don't tell ;)

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I know that fish need a fresh water filtration and air system.... depending on what type of fish they may need heating as well....
    Also if they have baby fish...they need plants or something to hide in....
    Plants also create oxygen...

Good luck on your projects....you've been real busy.... :wink: :greengrin:

5. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    We are currently using the pump from the swimming pool with a cobbled together carbon filter system. We are looking at using a pond filter thingy when we get around to finding what works. The pump we have spits the water out into the air which helps aerate the water as it splashes down. We got 13 hybrid striped bass and 2 grass carp on Wednesday and so far, no floaters so we must be doing something right....lol

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :thumbup: sounds good.... :hi5:

7. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    I hear of people doing it. Alot of people do catfish in barrels. Just think of it a large KOI pond or a small farm pond. The aeration systems are not cheap but if you look under sustainable aquaculture you should get a bunch of hits. This is part of the self reliant/survivalist lifestyle so you might get some hits for those type of sites.

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

9. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I actually wanted to do this myself! LOL
    Just be careful, you might have to make a cage that has fine mesh around it to go around the filter intake. Otherwise you might find baby fishes dead in the filter. Just telling you from experience! We had that happen with our pond pump.

10. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Our filter intake already has one of these, thank you for the advise though! We keep having them die though, we don't know if it is just stress from the trip or what... started with 13 now have 9. Aeration is good, pH is ok, I'm wondering what else that could be going wrong?

11. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Just my opinion but it could be the sun. Unless you have a lot of shade, the sun could be too much for the fish. In the natural habitat there are places for them to hide to escape the sun. It could be the water, it may be too clean. Think about the natural habitat, the water is clean but its not sterile. It could be the vinyl liner. It may be toxic to them with the sun beating on it.

I wish you luck in your fishy endeavor.

12. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I was just going to agree with the above post. How long did you wait to add the fish after you filled the pool?

13. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    A fish pond needs to cycle just like a fish tank does. Your ammonia is most likely high. Grab a sample of water and take it to a pet/fish store. They should test it for free. Did you decloranate the water before adding fish?

Try cutting back on feeding to just once a day and be ready to do a water change. I have 15 years with fish tanks and small ponds so if you need any thing pm me and I would be happy to help.

Go to Doctors Fosters and Smith on line and look in there pond area. Lots of great products and filter for a good price. But you can make most of what you need.

14. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    We have a charcoal filter running to cycle the water just like in our fish tank inside, it cycles the pool about once every 2 hours. We didn't fill it from city water, its filled from our well and from runoff from our roof and what has fallen from the sky this winter, so no, we didn't de-chlorinate. Um, just thought of something, we have a water softener set up, could there be too much salt in the water? We checked the pH, its at 7.2, no chlorine registering at all. The water temp was 50 degrees is this the problem you think? we put in hybrid striped bass, not necessarily warm water fish... out of the 15 or so fish we put in, only 3 are still alive, but they seem to be fine. I think they are the grass carp or bluegill.

15. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I would be worried about toxins in the roof runoff. There is all sorts of nasty things in the air and it settles thickly on roofs. Also depending on what type of roof you have you could be feeding your fishies oil residue and ither concentrated nasities.

16. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    haven't had the runoff into the pool for quite sometime, like back when it was first filled months ago
    have been running an activated charcoal filter so that should have taken care of the nasties right? ::crosses fingers::
    and I'm in the country, no industrial activity to speak of in my area or nearby... oh and I saw 4 fish still alive today, haven't
    had a floater in a while, maybe it had something to do with the striped bass.... maybe they didn't like the water temp?