New puppy coming

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by MidnightRavenFarm, Oct 6, 2020.

1. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

3. MidnightRavenFarm

MidnightRavenFarm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2020
    Butler TN
    My backyard is pretty much the Cherokee national forest. So I named him Adohi which is Cherokee for “woods”

Moers kiko boars and AlabamaGirl like this.
  4. AlabamaGirl

AlabamaGirl Member

Jun 18, 2020
    Southeast
    I like the sound of that, that's a real nice name.

5. MidnightRavenFarm

Jun 4, 2020
    Butler TN
    Thanks!!

Moers kiko boars and AlabamaGirl like this.
  6. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Looks like he has taken over you our pillow! Sooo cute.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  7. MidnightRavenFarm

Jun 4, 2020
    Butler TN
    Does anyone have any potty training tips they can share? He’s still young and learning but with 2 kids being home schooled and regular mom/wife duties I feel like I’m running out hours in a day.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  8. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Get him into routine. Take him out first thing. Then every hour. Teach him that outside is a good thing through positive re-inforcement.
    Let the kids get involved. Make a play pen area outside for him if you can. This is so he can have safe outside time when the kids are outside.

9. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Some people do this others don't. Not trying to start an argument. We always used crate training. Not as a punishment, but as a haven for the puppy. They learn pretty quickly (if you are vigilant about taking out, frequently) to not soil their living area.

The larger crate we divided as our border collie was pretty small, at first. She learned to love her crate, as did our shep cross. In fact, both were pretty upset when we took the "boxes" away.

Most puppies really can't get good bladder control until after 6 months. Larger breed dogs may take longer. Usually any accident is actually the fault of the person, not the dog. Out first thing (theirs, not your first thing) after eating, before and after playing, naps, etc.)

What a sweet little face! She will have you trained in no time!

10. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

@Goats Rock Crate training for a small babe like this one is not bad at all. The important thing is opening the door to outside as soon as human is awake and not once coffee is on.
    Its important to re-inforce outside is doodoo area.

11. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    We got a puppy about this time last year. The hardest part is going to be taking out the dog when its 20 degrees and you just woke up.
    For us we watched her like a hawk. Any time she ate, drank, woke up from a nap, or sniffed excessively, she went out.
    When we took her out we took her to a designated potty place and gave her the command to 'hurry up'. She did her business and got a treat and hugs.
    When she was out of her crate we watched her and often had her attached to us by a leash so she couldnt sneak off. Or she was in her crate.
    So basically consistency, positive reinforcement, and good eyes. Haha
    We later found out she had some sort of bladder problem which is why she had accidents more easily. But she grew out of it around 6 months.

Good luck with your puppy!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  12. MidnightRavenFarm

Jun 4, 2020
    Butler TN
    I have a crate on the porch, but the thought of putting him in there and leaving him all night breaks my heart. My son has insomnia and sleeps on the couch when he actually does sleep so I can’t have the crate inside. I swear guilt is the worst thing

13. MidnightRavenFarm

Jun 4, 2020
    Butler TN
    I wish potty training was easier. When I take him outside he acts scared and just wants to sit by my feet. And by the time I come back inside the kids are fighting, homework isn’t done, someone’s crying and the dryer is beeping

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  14. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

@MidnightRavenFarm with potty training the best is to actually walk. Small circles at first so pup can see he can walk around. His bowls move when he moves.

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California