New Pygmy kid

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by HughesHobbyFarm, May 14, 2018.

1. HughesHobbyFarm

HughesHobbyFarm Member

May 2, 2018
    Hello. I have a 7 week old kid currently and will be getting a second one this evening. We lost one of the babies we got the first time around so I want to make sure I do the right stuff with this baby. What should I do when I get a new goat? I bought this stuff but am unsure if I should use it for him or not? I have goats milk for him instead of milk replacer (that was an issue with the one we lost). What else would be good to do or be prepared for?

Attached Files:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I've never used that one. I would give a B Complex shot and you could put yogurt in the bottles. Also do a pinch of baking soda in the first bottle of the day.

3. GoatiesRDear

GoatiesRDear Active Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Ohio
    Yes the goat milk would be better than replacer. Don't over feed babies. check their stool and backsides everytime you see them to catch any scours early. Not sure what part of the country you are from but if it's cold in your area keep them from drafts or from being chilled. Do feed changes gradually. Always wash bottle with a splash of bleach to kill bacteria. Watch your babies a lot (which is fun anyway right? :) so you will be able to identify any abnormal behavior of it comes up. congratulations on your new babies! They are so fun!

SalteyLove likes this.
  4. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I would also have a fecal run - to check for coccidia and/or parasites. Ask what vaccinations and prevention have been done. If he is nibbling grain, ask for a little to help transition over to whatever you plan to feed. Ask to see him fed to make sure he is familiar with the bottle.

SalteyLove likes this.
  5. HughesHobbyFarm

HughesHobbyFarm Member

May 2, 2018
    How many days in a row should I do the pinch of baking soda in his morning bottle?

6. HughesHobbyFarm

HughesHobbyFarm Member

May 2, 2018
    He hasn't had any vaccinations. I will give him the B complex shot tonight. What other vaccinations should I probably be giving him? My friend that raises lambs suggested a tetanus and overeating shot?

7. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Yes, a cdt is a vaccination that is commonly given. The b-complex is essentially vitamins that help strengthen his immune system. Some of us also vaccinate for pneumonia. Parasite/worm control is something all of us have to keep on top of. Congrats on your new baby.

8. HughesHobbyFarm

HughesHobbyFarm Member

May 2, 2018
    What do you use for parasite/worm treatment?

9. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I like to use Valbazen cattle dewormer around 6-8 weeks of age. 1mL per 10lbs orally for 3 days in a row.