New Pygmy's in the spriing

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Jeff02, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Jeff02

Jeff02 New Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Western North Carolina
    So were getting Goats in the spring, 3 Pygmy’s. My question is to my set up, my barn will be 10x16 with two 5x7 stalls and a 6x10 tack room and I will have an area of about 100 x 50 fenced in using Goat Fence and Electric also. How does all this sound?

Thanks to ALL who reply!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sound fairly adequate :)

Welcome to TGS and to the world of goats :) you will have to post pictures when you get them

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    First off...welcome to TGS!!

Second...I think that sounds just fine for them. And as Stacey mentioned...pictures...we'd love to see! :D

4. Jeff02

Jeff02 New Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Western North Carolina
    Couple of issues??
    I have two Wild cherry trees, I know these need to come out but what about Dogwood Trees? Also I am concerned the 3 little goats will not be able to keep up with the grass growth, should these be of concern??

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Well the dogwood wont hurt them but they will hurt it. So if you want to survive I suggest fencing it off

6. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

People always joke to me that I must never have to mow my lawn with the goats but they are very wrong! We actually have to mow the grass in our goat pens. Just an FYI about your grass questions: goats are browsers meaning they like to eat brush way more than grass. I hear that sheep however keep grass levels way down.

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If you want the dogwoods, fence them off as the goats will very happily destroy them. I agree with Keren...I take a weedeater through the pens at least twice a year to get rid of what mine won't eat. Your barn and pen dimensions are adequate but be sure they can access the barn from the pens, they do need shelter from sun, rain and cold winds....also, make it a point to aloow them out of the pens to browse, before I had electric fenced in pastures, my goats free ranged my yard with supervision and would come running when they heard the feed bucket..now they can browse all they want and be well protected.

8. Jeff02

Jeff02 New Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Western North Carolina
    Thanks to all for the good advice.
    The goats will have access to the barn. I am also building the barn with a 5 foot over hung roof, this will also give them shelter from the sun and rain.

We also have a coyote issue here; because of this I’m putting a couple of electric strands on the outside of the pen and plan on locking the little guys up at night.

9. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    sounds like you have thought this out...That is a great start...Can't wait to see the PICS...even the barn....nice seeing everyone's different layout