New remedy for cat stink!

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by FunnyRiverFarm, Aug 12, 2009.

1. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Basically, to make a long story short, my friend's cat peed on me and the very expensive dress I was wearing at the time... :hair:

Cat pee smell, as many of you probably know, is notoriously difficult (sometimes impossible) to remove from fabric. It is also very strong, musky, and unpleasant...

I took the dress to the dry cleaner and when I got it back it still had smelly cat odor :( . I really did not want to throw this dress away because it is one of my favorites...and it was expensive.

So...I decided I was going to hand wash it myself to try and get rid of the odor. I figured I might as well try even though washing it might ruin it (it is dry clean only) because if I couldn't get the smell out I would be throwing it out anyway.

So I started looking around the house for something to use. First, I tryed using baby shampoo because that is what I usually use to wash silk (most detergents are too harsh) and rinsed with vinegar water. That definitely did not work...so I kept looking until I found the laundry soap my husband uses to wash his hunting clothes. It is called Scent-A-Way and it is designed to remove all odors...and it is also relatively gentle. I put some into my wash water and worked it into the dress for a couple minutes and then rinsed with cool water and vinegar again.

When I hung the dress to dry, there was no noticeable smell...and when I checked later after the dress was dry, I couldn't smell anything--even when I put my nose directly on the fabric! So I saved my dress! And the washing didn't damge it either! So, I am really happy now... :leap:

I just wanted to post this incase anyone is having issues with cat odor. Hooray for Scent-A-way! :stars:

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I might have to get for my cloths after I am in with the bucks. Mickey LOVES to rub all over you when he is in rut. He pees on his face and comes rub on me. (YUCK), but he is so sweet and I love him to death (I guess I would have to to let him do that). I normally have to just trash those cloths because I can not get that lovely smell out of them. Now I will not have to. :cool: :leap:

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yeah, I am sure it would work for that as well! :stars:

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    smart idea -- will pass this onto my friend and to my mom

5. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    FRF, thank you so much!!!! :hug:

I've wondered about getting the buck smell out too.