New Saanens

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by keren, Nov 11, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    So here are some terrible photos of the new Saanen does. Its so fun taking photos of them by yourself lol

Possum - she is longer and has a more level rump than this photo shows

[​IMG]

Fiona - she is shorter and more solid than this photo shows, but her rump does slope off too much

[​IMG]

Basically I bought these does sight unseen, just those couple of pics I showed a while ago. I got the polled doe, Possum and my brother got the horned doe, Fiona. I decided from the photos that I wanted the polled doe, and the gamble paid off because she is the nicer doe, taller with slightly more wedge, longer, wider, a bit more dairy character. They are both nothing special, but they will do. They are both pregnant - probably to a boer buck. Dont know when they are due. They both have too long pasterns - probably my biggest complaint with them and both (Fiona especially) have too much slope to the rump. It will be interesting to see how they freshen!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    They look like nice goats ...but... are a bit under weight ...with time and feed they should fill in nicely.....how are their gums .....they may need worming from the picture's ....there coats look a little scruffy to me....also maybe treat them for lice....

Fiona...is sticking her tongue out at you ...how funny... :ROFL:

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    They were drenched on arrival with caprimec and will get a lice treatment in two weeks with the rest of the herd. And plenty of good feed they will pick up :)

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes... plenty of good feed will definitely do the trick... :) ...since you already wormed and going to de-liced.... perfect... :thumbup: :)

5. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Welcome to the World of Saanens ;-). My folks have a registered herd of Saanens-their website is http://www.Buttermilk-Acres.com . I have to look at their udders to tell them apart;-).

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Nice goats there. I think Darcy is one to watch in the future ... I can see her turning out very nice :greengrin:

7. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Fiona cracks me up. I love the tongue sticking out. lol

Good luck with both of them!!

8. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Thanks Karen, yes Darcy is quite the milker to-in fact she was one of the top milkers in the herd this year. Scrumptious did pretty good to. I'm really excited to see how all of the yearlings freshen as two-year olds. February sure seems a long time to have to wait ;).