New sick kids

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by critterhavenfarm, Jun 12, 2009.

1. critterhavenfarm

critterhavenfarm New Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    okay...I am worn out....

Went out to check on Flashdance's sister and another little boy and they are both sick this morning. Diarrhea and snotty noses with yellow discharge. They are isolated with their moms in another pen...and haven't been around the other kids or moms in about 2 weeks because I had treated the little boy for coccidia and he got better but I had not moved him back. He is up and nursing and running around with his mom but just seems mopey to me....gave him Pepto and B12 and Nuflor. He LOVES Pepto...

Flashdance's sister on the other hand won't go to her mom when she hollers for her. She got out of the little house they sleep in and just laid down in front of it. She has more nasal discharge than her half brother does Her poop isn't as loose but I still gave her some Pepto to coat. Gave her some B12 and Nuflor also.

I'm moving that pen today to another area and cleaning out the house too....new bedding and electolytes in the water.

These kids are 8 weeks old. The boy is actually going on 9. I've seen him nurse but not the sister.

I'll get them in and take their temps here in the next few minutes. ( The satellite man is on his way so have to wait a bit) I'm wondering now if it isn't pneumonia, with Flashdance having it and now these two?

Susan

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Have they had their cdt shots?

3. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    WOW :( I am sorry for you run of luck :hug: I hope they all get better.

4. critterhavenfarm

critterhavenfarm New Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    Yes, all had their CDT shots....

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Did you get a temp ...before you started treatment?

If you just gave the nuflor....I would wait til tomorrow or at the end of the day and see.. if there is improvement...I also give banimine to jump start there appetite... if they are not eating....
    Nuflor and banimine works well together for pneumonia .....if that is what it is....without a temp prior to treatment... I cannot be sure.....

If there has not been diet change I would have a fecal done.... possible cocci still....if so try a different drug...or it may be worms... :hug:

6. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    One thing I would do is treat them both for cocci again for the full seven days. The not eating thing is a big tip off in kids, and dam raised kids are more susceptible than bottle raised kids, since they are constantly exposed to the shed of adult animals.

Even though you already treated him, he is still in with him momma, and therefore is still exposed to reinfection. After the seven day full treatment, they should be kept on a maintainance dose until they are weaned, kids that have clinical symptoms once tend to be more vulnerable to a relapse.

Moving them to a pen with new bedding will greatly lower the buildup, and will help no matter the root problem.

As for the nasal discharge, kids that have one ailment (especially one that prevents them from taking in nutrition and fluids) will be more susceptable to other problems. A lot of the time a snotty nose can be attributed to something as simple as changes in the weather; colds aren't all that uncommon in goats. But it's always better to be safe than sorry. Pnuemonia can kill quickly, I lost three kids last year to pnuemonia before I could get a strong enough antibiotic from my vet (less than a day!). Now I keep excenel on hand at all times :)

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I'm just curious if you by chance were giving vitamin B while treating them for cocci? If so, the cocci wouldn't have been killed off. . . anyways, just curious as you probably knew not to do that.

Maybe see about getting a nasal swab testing for Pasturella? I believe you get the nasal swab from mature animals in the herd.

So sorry you are having all this trouble. You are doing a great job dealing with it!

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    :( :hug:

If these were my babies I'd be treating every baby that was in contact with Flash, with an antibiotic.

I just had pneumonia take one of my babies and it was the most horrible thing, I was so scared the others would die from it, one was symptomatic but I caught it early enough